So I used to be that person that never ate breakfast. I’d go all morning with only a cup of coffee or hot tea and be fine. Then I started getting my students off the bus in the morning and eating with them. I enjoy the time I get to spend with them in the morning talking about their families, their weekend, and just how they are doing.
At first I would only have a piece of toast or two. Then I started eating whatever the main breakfast choice was in the cafeteria. While I wouldn’t call myself a big breakfast eater I do usually eat something in the morning every day. Heck, I’ve even been known to eat oatmeal!
I know that many people love a donut for breakfast. My husband is one of these people. I can take donuts or leave them. They don’t really do anything for me. However, I do like baked donuts that I make myself in the oven. I’ve found that they are much healthier, they are smaller, and I can make them in a variety of flavors.
Today is National Coffee Cake Day. Instead of baking a big coffee cake and then eating it for a week or so I decided to make Coffee Cake Donuts. I mixed up a basic donut dough, piped it into my donut mold, then sprinkled on a crumb topping. When they came out of the oven I drizzle icing on top.
Don’t skip the icing! My husband and I split a donut before putting on the icing and while both of us thought they had a nice flavor we both thought they were too dry. I then put the icing on and the change was huge! The donuts tasted just like a great piece of coffee cake but were bite sized and perfect for breakfast on the go.
- ¼ c. butter, melted
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- ¾ c. flour
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1 t. salt
- 1 c. flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- ½ t. salt
- 1 t. cinnamon
- ¼ c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 T. butter
- ½ c. milk
- 1 t. vanilla
- ½ c. powdered sugar
- ⅓ c. milk
- 1 t. cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Spray a donut pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl combine all the ingredients for the topping. Mix well then set aside.
- To make the donuts combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- In another medium bowl cream together the sugar, egg, and butter. Add in the milk and vanilla and mix well.
- Pour the flour mixture into the sugar mixture and mix until well combined.
- Pour the donut mixture into a zip top bag. Seal the baggie then cut off the edge and pipe the mixture into the donut pan.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture on top of the donuts and lightly press down on it to make it stick.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edges and remove the donuts from the pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl combine the ingredients for the glaze. Drizzle over top of the donuts and serve.
Check out these other tasty recipes for Coffee Cake Day:
- Blueberry Lemon Buttermilk Coffee Cake by Girl Abroad
- Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Busy Day Blueberry Ginger Coffee Cake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Butter Crumb Coffee Cake from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Buttermilk Coffee Cake with Jam by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Espresso Bundt Coffee Cake from Daily Dish Recipes
- Cinnamon Nut Coffee Ring from Family Around the Table
- Coffee Cake Donuts by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cookie Butter Coffee Cake from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Crumble Topped Nutty Coffee Cake by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Meyer Lemon Coffee Cake from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake by House of Nash Eats