As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
This week is all about Copycat Recipes! There are so many copycat recipes out there and I often mark these recipes to make for later but it never seems like I get around to making them.
In fact, when I quickly looked over my blog it looked as though I only have 2 copycat recipes out of 1500+ posts! So when the theme came up this week I knew I had to make something.
Since I was at Food and Wine Conference last weekend I knew I wasn’t going to have much time to make a recipe this week so I wanted something quick and easy but something that was tasty. Then my husband actually made the decision for me…he just didn’t know it.
He came home on Tuesday and told me it was one of his students birthdays that weekend. I knew I just had to make her something sweet for her birthday.
Looking around for a sweet copycat recipe I saw the Cosmic Brownies. Did you ever have a Cosmic Brownie as a kid? They are made by Little Debbie and they were like gold in lunchboxes.
They came in packages of 2 brownies with plenty of flat sprinkles on top. Cosmic Brownies were so different from homemade brownies because they were flat and fudgy and that made them awesome.
As I made the brownies I realized there was no baking powder in them and that they were going to be flat just like I remembered them. Not only were they flat but they were rich and really tasty.
Then the thick ganache on top with the sprinkles really made them look like the classic Cosmic Brownies. They tasted similar to classic Cosmic Brownie but more homemade and better. My husband and I enjoyed several of these and his student really loved them!
For the brownies:
- 3/4 c. butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. sugar
- 2/3 c. brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 Tablespoons vanilla
- 3/4 c. cocoa powder
- 3/4 c. flour
- 1 t. salt
For the ganache:
- 1 1/2 c. chocolate candy melts
- 1/3 c. heavy cream
- flat sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 x 13 pan with aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl combine the butter, eggs, sugar, brown sugar, milk, and vanilla. Mix well to combine.
- Pour in the cocoa powder and mix until combined.
- Add the flour and salt and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Place on a wire rack and cool for 1 hour.
- Place the chocolate melts and heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 20 second intervals until melted, stirring after each heating,
- Pour the ganache over top of the brownies and smooth. Sprinkle with the sprinkles and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator and remove the brownies using the aluminum foil. Cut into squares.
Adapted from Cincy Shopper
More Copycat Recipes:
- Copy Cat: Outback Bloomin’ Sauce with Onion Petals by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Applebee’s Oriental Chicken Salad Copycat by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Applebee’s Shrimp and Cavatappi by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Chicken Kitchen Chop Chop and Curry Mustard Sauce by Love and Confections
- Chevy’s Sweet Corn Tomalito by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Henri’s Tas-Tee Dressing Clone and Cole Slaw by Palatable Pastime