This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
Are you ready for back to school snack time? I am! I heard about a back to school snack time recipe contest and was excited to start thinking of ideas. I had so many ideas in my head that I wasn't sure which one I wanted to make. I finally headed over to my local Walmart to actually look at the products. I was still torn between two different snack ideas when I grabbed a bag of Farm Rich Italian meatballs and started working on an idea with them.
My idea was a simple Meatball Flatbread Pizza. It's awesome because it tastes like a meatball sub, is much less messy, and it's enough to share between several people. I bought a few flatbreads, bell peppers and onions, and the Italian meatballs.
I got to work as soon as I got home because I was super hungry. The timing on the flatbread pizzas worked out well. As I preheated the oven I began cooking the meatballs in the skillet. Once the oven was preheated I stuck the flatbread in for 5 minutes while I added the peppers and onions to the skillet. Then I was able to assemble the meatball flatbread pizzas.
As the pizza was cooking I realized that I needed a little something to put on the pizza when it came out of the oven. I ran out into my herb garden and grabbed a handful of basil. I cut it into ribbons and sprinkled it over top of the pizza once it came out. It looked amazing.
I cut each flatbread pizza into 6 slices. This recipe is enough for 8 people to snack on but it can easily be cut in half for 4 people. The recipe is easy and perfect for an after school snack. I really liked the crispy flatbread topped with the peppers, onions, and juicy meatballs. It was like the perfect combination of pizza and meatball subs.
- 1 ½ c. Farm Rich Italian Meatballs (about 24 meatballs)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 flatbreads
- 1 c. pizza sauce
- 1 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ¼ c. basil, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- While the oven is heating place the olive oil and meatballs in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the meatballs for 10 minutes or until they begin to brown.
- Place the flatbreads on a cookie sheet and bake for 5 minutes.
- While the flatbreads are baking, add the peppers, onions, and garlic to the pan with the meatballs and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the flatbreads from the oven. Spread each one with ¼ cup of pizza sauce and sprinkle with ¼ cup of cheese.
- Cut the meatballs in half and spread the meatball halves, peppers, and onions evenly over top of the flatbread pizzas.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove the flatbread pizzas from the oven and sprinkle with basil. Cut each one into 6 pieces and serve as a snack.
A Hezzi-D Original Recipe