Cranberry Ginger Margaritas put a holiday twist on the classic with sweet vanilla ginger syrup, tart cranberry juice, and your favorite margarita flavors. This recipe was originally posted in December 2014.
Every holiday party needs a signature cocktail. Whether it's a simple champagne cocktail, a sparkling martini, or a fun and fruity cocktail. I wanted to find a cocktail that I could make in a big batch so that when we start having Christmas parties again I could just fill up a jug with it and people could pour it out all night long.
My first thought when thinking Christmas was cranberry. It's just so red and festive and fun. I went through several different cranberry drinks before I decided on a margarita. Margaritas are such a summery drink but I knew that I could add in a few twists along with the cranberry juice to make it a new winter favorite.
After several trials with different extracts, flavors, and spices I had a combination that hit the spot. I made a spicy vanilla ginger simple syrup that added the perfect amount of sugar and spice to this cocktail. I couldn't wait to give it a try.
For this recipe you will need:
- cranberry juice
- lime juice
- vanilla extract
- orange liqueur
- lime wedge
- colored sugar
- sugared cranberries (if desired)
I made the vanilla ginger simple syrup before making this cocktail. Then I rimmed a glass with colored sugar and added in all of the ingredients. Finally I added ice and game it a good stir.
The red cranberry juice colored the cocktail a festive red while lime juice gave it a nice tartness. The ginger and vanilla simple syrup added spice and a delicious flavor. While I rimmed my glass with sugar you can certainly rim it with classic salt. Then top it off with sugared cranberries if desired.
The results were awesome! The margaritas looked fun and festive and the taste was amazing. I could barely taste the alcohol in them which is both good and bad. These Christmas margaritas are sweet, tart, and spiced which makes for a tasty cocktail. They were a huge hit at our last Christmas party and I even had several people request this recipe. Make a single serving for yourself or a fill a jug for a party!
For the margarita:
- 2 oz. cranberry juice
- 2 oz. lime juice
- 2 oz. vanilla ginger simple syrup
- 1 oz. orange liqueur
- 1 ½ oz. tequila
- Lime wedge
- coarse salt
- sugared cranberries
For the vanilla ginger simple syrup:
- ½ c. water
- ½ c. sugar
- 1 T. fresh grated ginger
- 2 T. vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients for the vanlla ginger syrup in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and boil for one minute. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- When ready to make the margarita take a lime wedge and rub it around the edge of a tall glass. Dip the glass into coarse salt. Fill glass with ice and set aside.
- In a shaker combine the cranberry juice, lime juice, vanilla ginger simple syrup, orange liqueur, and tequila. Shake for 30 seconds.
- Pour the margarita into the prepared glass. Top with sugared cranberries and the lime wedge.
Adapted from How Sweet It Is
- Chocolate Nut Martini (Nutty Uncle) by Art of Natural Living
- Cranberry Ginger Margarita by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Cranberry Negroni by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Dairy Free Egg Nog by That Recipe
- Eggnog Brandy Alexander by Palatable Pastime
- Eggnog Martini by Sweet Beginnings
- Poinsettia Champagne Cocktail by Books n' Cooks
- Snickerdoodle Martini by Christmas Tree Lane
- Sparkling Wine Cider by Making Miracles