In the summer I have a difficult time with lunches. It's often to hot to cook and I don't want leftovers. I've been tired of sandwiches and cold salads as well. So when I was perusing my saved recipes I saw these cheesy zucchini fries with sriracha mayo.
While the zucchini fries are baked, the oven isn't on for too long. Plus dipping them in the cool sriracha mayo helps on a hot day. The fries are crisp with a light, cheesy taste. The mayo is cool and spicy. It's the perfect summertime lunch but it would also be a wonderful appetizer.
Crispy Baked Cheesy Zucchini Fries with Sriracha Lime Mayo (adapted from Tracy's Culinary Adventures)
For the zucchini fries:
2 T. flour
1 large egg
1 c. breadcrumbs
¼ c. grated Parmesan cheese
1 t. kosher salt
1 t. black pepper
½ t. garlic powder
¼ t. red pepper
1 medium zucchini
For the sriracha lime mayo:
3 T. mayonnaise
1 ½ t. Sriracha
1 t. lime juice
½ t. salt
½ t. black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil.
2. Place the flour in a shallow dish. Beat the egg in a second shallow dish. Mix the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and red pepper in a third shallow dish.
3. Slice the top and bottom off the zucchini. Cut into about 3-inch long pieces that are about ½ inch thick.
4. Dredge the zucchini through the flour and shake off the excess. Then dip the zucchini in the egg mixture and dredge in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing to coat completely. Place the fries on the baking sheet.
5. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the coating is golden brown and crisp.
6. While the fries are baking, make the sriracha lime mayo by adding all of the ingredients to a small bowl and stirring to combine. Serve the fries with the mayo and marinara sauce. These are best served while hot.