A few months ago I met a wonderful woman named Annelies at Mixed Conference. She was super sweet and we got to talking about food before I realized she was at the conference as one of the sponsors. She was there representing Attune Foods which I will admit I had never heard of before the conference. I tried their organic cereal at the conference and it was really good! They also have a line of gluten free cereals that tasted great as well.
As soon as I got home from the conference I went to my local store and found that they carried the Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice Gluten Free Cereal. I bought a box in hopes of making a holiday treat with it. My husband found the box and tried a bowl one evening and was impressed by how good it tasted.
I ended up making several delicious holiday recipes with Attune Foods cereals and we enjoyed them so much I've been making treats on and off with them throughout the year. When I found out that Amanda, from Our Italian Kitchen, wanted our What's Baking theme to be bite sized treats I immediately wanted to make a gluten free treat to take to work. When trying to come up with a good bite sized recipe I found myself thinking of chocolate and peppermint. I combined the two, along with the cereal, into a delicious fudge bite. I love how they turned out. The chocolate is firm but melts in your mouth and has just a hint of peppermint flavor. The rice cereal adds a nice crunch to the fudge. It's the perfect gluten free treat.
Crispy Peppermint Fudge Bites (Gluten Free) (a Hezzi-D original)
1 (12 oz) bag Wilton chocolate melts
1 (12 oz) bag Hershey's semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 (14 oz) cans Nestle Carnation Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 t. vanilla extract
1 t. peppermint extract
1 c. Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice Gluten Free Cereal
1. Line 2 mini muffin tins with paper liners. Set aside.
2. In a large saucepan combine the chocolate melts, chocolate chips, and sweetened condensed milk. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture is smooth.
3. Remove the chocolate from the heat and stir in the vanilla and peppermint. Add in the rice cereal and mix well.
4. Using a tablespoon place a scoop of the fudge into each paper line mini muffin cup.
5. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. The fudge will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator.