I’ve been in the market for some new crock-pot soup recipes. Even when specific recipes aren’t made for the crock-pot I can generally adapt them so that they can become crock-pot recipes. I recently came across a recipe for chicken enchilada soup. I already have a recipe for taco soup, but since I love enchiladas I was willing to take a chance on this Mexican soup.
I put most of the ingredients in the crock-pot before I went to work in the morning. Even before I left the house it began smelling like a spicy enchilada. By the time I got home in the evening I felt as though I was walking into a Mexican restaurant. The smell itself was mouth-watering. I grated some cheese, chopped up the cilantro, and served it in a bowl topped with tortilla chips.
Crock-Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup (adapted from Homemade By Holman )
4 c. chicken broth
2 t. olive oil
¾ pounds of skinless, boneless chicken tenders
1 T. ground cumin
½ t. red pepper
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes with peppers and onions
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 15 oz. black beans, rinsed and drained
2 c. frozen corn
½ c. tomato paste
8 oz. pepperjack cheese, divided
1 c. cilantro, chopped
Tortilla chips (I made homemade ones)
1. Put the crock-pot on low.
2. Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Cut the chicken tender into 1 inch pieces. Put the chicken in the skillet and sauté until all the pink is gone on the outside (about 5 minutes) but they chicken is not browned.
3. Put the chicken into the crock-pot. Add in the chicken stock, tomatoes, jalapenos, green pepper, onion, and garlic. Stir until well combined. Then add in the black beans, corn, and tomato paste. Mix well. Add in the spices and stir until combined.
4. Shred 4 oz. of pepperjack cheese and stir into the soup. Cover and heat on low 8 hours.
5. Shred the remaining pepperjack cheese and chop the cilantro. Pour soup into a bowl and top with the cheese, cilantro, and tortilla chips.
**This soup is very spicy. If you do not like things that are spicy please make the following modifications. Substitute a 4 oz. can of green chilies for the jalapenos. Substitute cheddar cheese for the pepperjack. This makes for a much milder soup.
This sounds really good! Adding it to my recipes to try!
We'd love you to share your recipes with us at
Simply Delish Saturday
I am always looking for the perfect chicken tortilla soup. This looks delish. I'll have to try it! I also wanted to invite you over to my cookbook giveaway that is going on right now until July 16th. Stop on by to enter! And if I've already invited you, don't mind me! Hope you are having a great week 🙂
I love my crock pot especially in the summer! This soup looks great.
I LOVE using my crock pot and this looks like the perfect recipe to make with it! Delicious! 🙂