This week our recipe exchange category was desserts. Desserts are probably my absolute favorite thing to cook or bake and I have made a lot of desserts in my time. I was anxious to see that recipe I would be given for the exchange. I was super excited when I received a recipe for Key Lime Bars from Cathy's Kitchen Journey, as these are a dessert I've never made before!
The crust is just a very basic, very buttery, sugar cookie dough. On top of that is poured the key lime layer. I added a bit of lime zest to the key lime layer both to give it added flavor and color. The color of the lime layer was more yellow then green from the eggs so I added a single drop of green food coloring which gave it a light green and "limey" color. The finished bars were rich and buttery on the bottom and the perfect combination of sweet sugar and sour lime on the top. They were easy to make, delicious, and can easily be transported to any summer get together.
Key Lime Bars (adapted from Cathy's Kitchen Journey)
For the crust:
¾ c. butter, softened
½ c. sugar
¼ c. applesauce
2 c. flour
For the Key Lime Layer:
¼ c. flour
1 ½ c. sugar
1 t. key lime zest
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar. Mix in the applesauce. Add in the flour and mix well to combine. Press the crust into the bottom of an ungreased 9 x 13 pan.
3. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
4. While the crust is baking make the key lime layer by whisking the flour and sugar together in a medium mixing bowl. Beat in the eggs and the key lime juice. Stir in the key lime zest. If desired, add a single drop of green food coloring and mix well.
5. Once the crust is pulled out of the oven pour the key lime batter over top and return it to the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the top looks firm. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into 24 squares and serve.
Thanks for linking up at Bacon Time, hope to see you again this week. Looks yummy.
The Stratton Family
Love your blog! It would be great if you came and linked some of your ideas to Lovely Little Snippets!
Wilde in the Kitchen
I love key lime pie so much, it's my request for my birthday every year! I'm totally into these bars and could eat the entire batch 🙂
These bars look and sound delicious! They are perfect for the end to a mid summer meal!
I will just say "YUM!" and leave it at that 😀
Thank you for linking up to my Not "Baaad" Sundays blog hop! The linky is up now, but my main reason for stopping by tonight is to tell you there's a SURPRISE awaiting you on my blog 🙂
These look so good! Have to try it! Thanks!