Today’s post is sponsored by Barlean's, Hamilton Beach, and Rhodes Bread as well as Crispy Green, The Spice House, and PackIt. However, all opinions are my own. #ad #Back2School
I go back to school next week. During the summer we usually have some leisurely breakfasts around 8am everyday because we are in no hurry to get anywhere. Since I have to be at work by 8 and usually leave the house at 7:30am this makes the morning a little hectic. Last year it didn't matter because it was just me eating then J and my husband would eat once I left but two days a week J is coming with me so it's going to be rushed.
Since it feels like summer has just flown by and I know I can't be the only one looking for back to school recipes this week I'll be sharing loads of great back to school recipes ideas along with some of my favorite blogger friends! To help celebrate the start of school we also have an awesome giveaway going on so make sure to check it out at the bottom of this post.
I've been looking for easy breakfast recipes that don't take too long. Some of the things I'm planning on making are overnight oats, yogurt parfaits, overnight french toast,, and these Easy Air Fryer Orange Pecan Sticky Buns. If you or your child has a nut allergy the great thing about these is that you can eliminate the nuts and they still taste great.
I know a lot of easy recipes like this call for packaged cinnamon roll dough or using crescent rolls or something similar. My recipe uses Rhodes frozen bread dough. I like using this because it makes the sticky buns taste homemade. I also like using it because you can take it out of the freezer and put it into the refrigerator the night before you want to make these. This recipe makes 16 sticky buns but if you only want 8 you can make half a recipe then use the other half of the bread dough to make rolls for dinner! That's what I call a win-win situation.
The filling consists of cream cheese, orange juice, powdered sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and pecans. The orange juice just gives the rolls a subtle orange flavor. If you want more of an orange flavor put a little zest in the honey topping and it tastes amazing. The topping is just honey, butter, and brown sugar and man could I eat it with a spoon. When it cooks in the air fryer it turns into homemade caramel and is so yummy!
So how long does all of this take? It took me 10 minutes to mix up the filling, unroll the Rhodes Bake-N-Serv bread dough, fill it, roll, and cut. I put the sticky buns in the air fryer and while they were in there I made the topping. It takes just 10 minutes in the air fryer so this whole delicious breakfast takes 20 minutes from start to finish!
These buns taste so amazing. If I didn't know better I would seriously think they were made from scratch. The dough tastes really fresh. The inside of the rolls are sweet and crunchy from the nuts. The best part is the honey butter topping which is sticky and yummy and awesome. These are best eaten right out of the air fryer but you can save them for up to 3 days and just pop them in the microwave for 15 seconds before eating them to soften them up again.
- 1 loaf of Rhodes frozen bread dough, thawed in the refrigerator overnight
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 2 T. orange juice
- ½ c. powdered sugar
- 1 t. cinnamon
- ½ t. ginger
- ⅓ c. chopped pecans
- ¼ c. honey
- ⅓ c. butter
- 2 T. brown sugar
- orange zest (optional)
- Remove the thawed bread dough from the refrigerator and cut in half.
- Roll the each dough piece into an 8" x 12" rectangle. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the cream cheese, orange juice, powdered sugar, cinnamon, and ginger. Beat with a mixer on medium speed until smooth. If it's too runny add in a little more powdered sugar.
- Divide the cream cheese mixture before the two dough rectangles and smooth to within ½ in of all sides.
- Sprinkle the pecans on top of the cream cheese mixture.
- Roll the dough starting at one of the long sides until it resembles a cinnamon roll. Pinch the dough together at the seam. Repeat with the other dough.
- Using a serrated knife cut each bread dough log into 8 pieces.
- Spray an air fryer with cooking spray. Place 6 rolls in the air fryer and spray the tops of them with cooking spray. Cook for 5 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, place the honey, butter, and brown sugar in a small bowl. Microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring after each heating, until the butter is melted and the brown sugar is mostly melted.
- Remove from microwave and add orange zest if using.
- Open the air fryer and flip the sticky buns over. Pour 1 tablespoon of the honey butter topping on top of each bun. Continue cooking for 4-5 minutes or until they are golden brown and baked through.
- Remove from air fryer and spoon another tablespoon of the honey butter mixture on top. Serve immediately.
- Finish cooking the remaining using the same directions. Enjoy!