As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Fried tortellini is a quick and easy to make recipe that makes a crispy coated appetizer that’s delicious when served with marinara sauce.
As you know I love pasta. It’s something that I could eat every day if I needed too. My son does eat it just about everyday.
One thing I don’t make too often are appetizers. I decided to combine my love of pasta and my need for appetizers into one tasty fried tortellini recipe.
What is tortellini?
Tortellini is a type of pasta that is ring-shaped and traditionally filled with a mixture of meat, like pork or veal, or other ingredients like cheese and herbs. The pasta dough is rolled thin, and small circles are cut from it. These circles are then filled with the filling mixture, and the edges are folded to form a ring or a hat-like shape.
I make a lot of tortellini recipes but none of them are for appetizers. I have a tasty and super easy Tortellini with Walnut Butter Sauce that is great for dinner. Then there’s my hearty Tortellini Vegetable Soup. My Tortellini with Chicken and Spinach in Vodka Sauce is always a favorite.
After searching I found a recipe that didn’t require me to bread each tortellini individually which was a major plus. I wanted something that was easy to make and wouldn’t take a ton of work.
- cheese tortellini (make sure it’s refrigerated tortellini and not frozen)
- breadcrumbs (you can use regular or panko depending on how much crunch you want)
- all purpose flour
- garlic powder (my favorite is a roasted garlic powder from Penzey’s)
- salt and pepper
- milk (whole milk works best)
- marinara sauce (optional)
To make the tortellini place the breadcrumbs, flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a medium sized zip top baggie. Place the eggs and milk in another zip top bag and mix well.
Place the tortellini in the bag with the egg mixture and shake. Remove using a slotted spoon, allowing the excess egg to drip off.
Can I use another type of pasta?
You can use other filled pasta such as ravioli or cappelletti. You may need to cook the ravioli for an extra minute per side.
Put the tortellini into the breadcrumb bag, seal, and shake to coat the tortellini. Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
Add half the tortellini and fry for 2-3 minutes per side or until the tortellini is golden brown. Remove to a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with remaining tortellini.
What can I serve with the Tortellini?
I personally enjoy serving it with marinara sauce. I sprinkle it with parmesan cheese then dunk it into the sauce. For something a little different try my spicy Remoulade sauce.
Place the tortellini on a large plate or platter with a small bowl in the middle. Fill the bowl with your favorite dipping sauce. Sprinkle the tortellini with parmesan cheese and parsley then serve hot.
My husband and I enjoyed this fried tortellini with marinara sauce as an appetizer before a holiday party. They are crunchy and have a warm cheese center. The tortellini with wonderful dipped into the marinara sauce.
Fried Tortellini would be great as a holiday appetizer or to enjoy during Game Day. You could even serve it as a side dish or to kids for dinner.
- 1 package 20 oz cheese tortellini (refrigerated)
- 1 c. breadcrumbs
- 1/3 c. + 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 c. milk
- Add an inch of vegetable oil to a large saute pan. Heat over medium high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the breadcrumbs, 1/3 cup flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a large zip top bag. Seal and shake to mix.
- In another large zip top bag combine the eggs, remaining flour, and milk. Seal and shake to mix.
- Place half of the tortellini in the bag with the egg mixture and shake to coat. Remove from the mixture, letting extra egg drip off, then place in the bag with the breadcrumbs. Shake to coat the tortellini.
- Remove the tortellini from the breadcrumb mixture and place in the saute pan. Fry for 1-2 minutes then flip and fry for an additional 1-2 minutes. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- Repeat with the remaining tortellini.
- Sprinkle the tortellini with parmesan cheese and parsley if desired.
- Serve warm with marinara sauce or other dipping sauce.