As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
My husband and I love to go to the movies but it’s getting pretty expensive these days. We used to go out to a nice dinner then go to a movie and have a great night out. Nowadays to have a nice dinner and see a movie (and maybe get a snack) it can cost well over $75 for a night out.
This past weekend my husband really wanted to go see a movie. We wanted to grab dinner too but nothing was striking our fancy. After checking the refrigerator, I decided I could make a delicious restaurant quality meal at home in just 20 minutes and for way cheaper then we would pay at a restaurant. The meal? Two Cheese Pasta Carbonara using Stella cheeses.
I love pasta carbonara because it only uses a handful of ingredients. I also like it because it has two of my favorite ingredients: pasta and cheese. My husband loves it because it has two of his favorite ingredients: bacon and cheese. This dish is a win-win in the flavor department and the ease of preparation department.
Usually I just use Parmesan cheese in my carbonara but I happen to have two Italian cheeses in the refrigerator and thought they would be the perfect combination. They are Stella Italian Sharp Cheese and Stella Fontinella Cheese. The Italian Sharp is sharp and flavorful while the Fontinella is sweet and creamy. It sounded like the perfect carbonara combination.
To make the pasta I simply cooked the noodles, stirred in the eggs and cheese, then added in the bacon. That’s it! How easy is that? We had a delicious Italian meal at home with the Pasta Carbonara, salads made from our CSA, and fresh rolls. After our bellies were full we headed out and saw a great new movie. It was a great date night!
Do you want to have a great date night with dinner and a show? Stella is giving away a three day, two night trip giveaway to New York City with a $500 gift card, dinner for two, and two tickets to a Broadway show. Simply enter by visiting the Stella cheese website, clicking on the giveaway link, then filling out and submitting the online entry form. You can enter once per day until October 31, 2015
- 12 oz. spaghetti
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 c. Italian cheeses, shredded (I used Stella Italian Sharp and Stella Fontinella)
- salt and pepper
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta water.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet. Heat for 3-4 minutes per side or until bacon is browned. Remove from pan and place on paper towels to drain. Chop the bacon.
- Combine the eggs and Italian cheeses in a bowl. Set aside.
- Remove all but 1 tablespoon of bacon grease from the skillet. Heat over medium heat and add the garlic, stirring for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add in the cooked pasta and the egg and cheese mixture. Quickly stir the ingredients together so that the egg does not scramble.
- Add pasta water, a few tablespoons at a time, until the sauce is thick but coats the spaghetti.
- Stir in the bacon and season with salt and pepper.
A Hezzi-D Original Recipe