This month the theme for Bread Bakers is baking with whole grains. Now I'm not big on baking with whole grains and I was a little worried about it. After looking up a list of "official" whole grains, I took note of oats being a whole grain and decided to build a bread around that.
Since I had several overly ripe bananas I thought I could do a banana oat bread. Then I thought that was a little too boring and wanting to make it even better. That's where the blueberries coming in. I thought not only would the blueberries add a bit of color, they would add a burst of flavor as well in this Oatmeal Blueberry Banana Bread.
The batter is made with a combination of oats and whole wheat flour. Then I put in the bananas and blueberries. As it was baking it smelled wonderful but I was concerned with how dark the actual bread was. When it came out it looked great, but dark.
My husband and I both took a bite and we weren't sure about it. We took a second bite and it tasted pretty good. By the third bite we were both sold on this awesome bread. It's not overly sweet but it's bursting with flavor from the blueberries and bananas.
Whole Grain Oatmeal Blueberry Bread
A delicious whole grain bread that's not overly sweet but that's bursting with flavor from bananas and blueberries.
- 1 c. oats
- 1 ½ c. whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ c. brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ c. vegetable oil
- 2 bananas
- 1 c. blueberries
- ½ c. pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl combine the oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the brown sugar, eggs, and vegetable oil.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and mix until a thick batter has formed.
- Stir in the bananas and mix until combined.
- Gently fold in the blueberries and pecans.
- Pour the batter into a bread pan sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes then turn the bread out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe adapted from Cooking with Ruthie
More Delicious Whole Grain Bread Recipes:
- Bulgur Wheat Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Gluten Free Honey Oat Bread from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Kitchen Sink Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Rosemary, Garlic, and Parsley Whole Wheat Bread from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Whole Wheat Apple Banana Bread from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Whole Wheat English Muffins from Spill the Spices
- Whole Wheat Naan from Spiceroots
looks like a great one for breakfast
Blueberries and Oatmeal are favorite ingredients of mine and I love how you have combined the two in this wonderful bread!
Loved the recipe. Will make it today..
I hope you enjoy it!
Your banana bread with blueberries sounds awesome. I love these quickbreads.
Karen @ Karen's Kitchen Stories
What a lovely, lovely sounding quickbread!!! Great flavors!
Great combination of flavors and great idea to use oats. I love baking with oats.
Your loaf looks great and I'm sure it tastes so good
Wendy, A Day in the Life on the Farm
Banana Blueberry is such a great flavor combination. How could you go wrong?
I don't think it looks too dark at all, Heather. What a wonderful loaf! I love the banana blueberry combo!
A lot of wonderful flavors in that bread. Yummy.