This month the theme for Bread Bakers is baking with whole grains. Now I'm not big on baking with whole grains and I was a little worried about it. After looking up a list of "official" whole grains, I took note of oats being a whole grain and decided to build a bread around that.
Since I had several overly ripe bananas I thought I could do a banana oat bread. Then I thought that was a little too boring and wanting to make it even better. That's where the blueberries coming in. I thought not only would the blueberries add a bit of color, they would add a burst of flavor as well in this Oatmeal Blueberry Banana Bread.
The batter is made with a combination of oats and whole wheat flour. Then I put in the bananas and blueberries. As it was baking it smelled wonderful but I was concerned with how dark the actual bread was. When it came out it looked great, but dark.
My husband and I both took a bite and we weren't sure about it. We took a second bite and it tasted pretty good. By the third bite we were both sold on this awesome bread. It's not overly sweet but it's bursting with flavor from the blueberries and bananas.
- 1 c. oats
- 1½ c. whole wheat flour
- 2 t. baking soda
- 1 t. baking powder
- ½ t. salt
- ¾ c. brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ c. vegetable oil
- 2 bananas
- 1 c. blueberries
- ½ c. pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl combine the oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the brown sugar, eggs, and vegetable oil.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and mix until a thick batter has formed.
- Stir in the bananas and mix until combined.
- Gently fold in the blueberries and pecans.
- Pour the batter into a bread pan sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes then turn the bread out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Check out all the delicious whole grain breads:
- Blueberry Banana Oat Bread from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Bublik - Russian Bagels from Sara's Tasty Buds
- Bulgur Wheat Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Cilantro and Garlic Oat Bread from Simply Veggies
- Corn Pizza on Multigrain Crust from Cook's Hideout
- Gluten Free Honey Oat Bread from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Kitchen Sink Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Multigrain Country Bread from La cocina de Aisha
- Potato Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls from Passion Kneaded
- Rosemary, Garlic, and Parsley Whole Wheat Bread from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Tomato and Rosemary Einkorn Focaccia Rounds from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Whole Grain Maple Oat Scones from Cali's Cuisine
- Whole Grain Zucchini Macadamia Bread from The Schizo Chef
- Whole Wheat English Muffins from Spill the Spices
- Whole Wheat Date Nut Bread from Magnolia Days
- Whole Wheat Naan from Spiceroots
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated after each event on the #BreadBakers home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to email@example.com.