As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Tomorrow is Labor Day and that often means cookouts. It also is a day that celebrates the social and economic achievements of workers. So while many people are off work and have parties, who wants to spend all day cooking for them? We are supposed to be relaxing and celebrating our achievement.
My initial thought was to make a beverage. Everyone needs a cocktail at a picnic and most cocktails are simple to make. But the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to make a main dish.
When I think of picnics I think of barbecue which in our house usually means grilling. However, in the winter I often use the slow cooker to make barbecue and that’s what I decided to make this week.
We were recently on Tilghman Island for a short and amazing vacation, thanks to my husband who surprised me with it for my birthday. The restaurant at our bed and breakfast was delicious. We went one night and I had a vinegar based pulled pork sandwich that was out of this world. I enjoyed it with a mustard based barbecue sauce and it was so good we went back again the next night and I had the same thing!
So I wanted to make a mustard based pulled pork barbecue. I simply took a large pork loin, sprinkled it with salt and pepper, then covered it with a mustard based barbecue sauce in the slow cooker. Six hours later it smelled amazing and looked pretty good too. I quickly shredded the pork which was so simple since it was very tender. We put them on some hearty buns and they were delicious. Totally perfect for a BBQ and it required very little work on my part.
- 3-4 lb. boneless pork loin or roast
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. pepper
- 2 T. butter, melted
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 c. yellow mustard
- 1 T. dry mustard
- 3/4 c. cider vinegar
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 T. hot sauce
- 10 Kaiser rolls or other hearty buns
- Sprinkle the pork loin or roast with salt and pepper and place it in the slow cooker.
- Arrange the onions and garlic around the pork in the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl combine the yellow mustard, dry mustard, cider vinegar, brown sugar, water, and hot sauce. Mix well and pour over top of the pork.
- Cook the pork on low for 6 hours, adding water halfway through if needed.
- After 6 hours use two forks and shred the pork. Mix well with the barbecue sauce in the slow cooker.
- Place the pork on the rolls and serve warm.