Baked chicken breast topped with everything but the bagel seasoning, smashed avocado, and crispy bacon makes a flavorful meal.
I make chicken at least one night a week. It’s one of my favorite things to eat and it goes well with just about any side dish which makes it an easy dish. I’m sure I have well over fifty recipes for chicken on this blog but I’m always open to trying something different.
Have you ever tried everything but the bagel seasoning? It’s basically a combination of sesame seeds, sea salt, garlic, onion, and poppy seeds. There’s a ton of flavor in it which makes it the perfect coating for chicken or other meat.
The chicken is dredged in flour, dipped in eggs, then rolled in a combination of panko and the everything but the bagel seasoning. Then it’s baked until cooked through.
While the chicken is cooking I prepared the avocado by mashing it with garlic, salt, and pepper. Then I cooked the bacon until it was nice and crisp. When the chicken is finished cooking I topped it with the avocado and sprinkled it with bacon.
The flavor combination was outstanding. The crispy chicken was bursting with flavor from the seasoning while the avocado was creamy and the bacon was crisp and salty. It was the perfect bite.
I ended up serving it over rice topped with more of the seasoning but you could serve it over flavored rice, potatoes, or even couscous.
Pro Tips & Substitutions:
- If you don’t like chicken you can use pork or even fish instead.
- Don’t have Everything But the Bagel Seasoning? Mix equal parts of sesame seeds, sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and poppy seeds.
For the chicken:
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. panko
- 2 T. everything but the bagel seasoning
- 1 lb. chicken breasts (4 portions)
For the avocado:
- 2 medium avocados
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
For the topping:
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Additional everything but the bagel seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a shallow bowl combine the flour, salt, and pepper. In a second shallow bowl whisk together the eggs. In a third shallow bowl combine the everything but the bagel seasoning and panko breadcrumbs.
- Dredge the chicken through the flour mixture then dip in the egg mixture. Press chicken into the seasoning and breadcrumb mixture then place on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until chicken has an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- While the chicken is cooking mash the avocados in a bowl. Add the garlic, salt, and black pepper and combine.
- Spread 1/4 of the avocado mixture on top of each chicken breast. Sprinkle with bacon and more everything but the bagel seasoning.
Recipe adapted from Incredible One-Pot Cooking by Megan Marlowe, as seen on Books n Cooks
Favorite Cookbook Recipes
- 75% Whole Wheat Sourdough Bread by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Beef Noodle Salad Bowls by Making Miracles
- Charleston Receipts Hot Slaw by Palatable Pastime
- Cucumber Cashew Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Everything But The Bagel Avocado Chicken by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Oat Nut Bread by That Recipe
- Peach Cream Dessert Sauce by The Freshman Cook