Happy 4th of July! This is one of my favorite patriotic holidays. I love everything red, white, and blue, the fabulous fireworks displays, plus July is my favorite month. Why? Well the end of July is my birthday so I've always loved it. Plus my cousin who is 2 years older then me has a birthday 2 days before mine and my dad's birthday is 3 days before hers. It has always been a great month and now we get to celebrate another birthday at the beginning of the month...my husbands!
So to celebrate we usually have some sort of BBQ or picnic which ends with a red, white, and blue dessert. I've made pies, tarts, and cakes in this past but this year I didn't have a lot of time so I went with something simpler. Chocolate covered pretzels are one of my favorite easy desserts and some red, white, and blue Wilton Candy Melts.
They took only a few minutes to make. I dipped each pretzel rod into red candy melts and let them harden. Then I melted some white and blue candy melts, placed them in baggies, and drizzled them over top. The end result were fun and festive firecracker pretzels that everyone loves!
- 24 pretzel rods (8 inch)
- 10 oz. red candy melts
- 3 oz. white candy melts
- 3 oz. blue candy melts
- Place the red candy melts in a bowls. Heat them at 50% power in a microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring every 30 seconds until completely melted.
- Place waxed paper or parchment paper on a table top. Dip 6 inches of a pretzel rod into the melted red chocolate. Tap on the edge of the bowl to get rid of excess chocolate. Place on the piece of waxed paper. Repeat with remaining pretzel rods.
- Allow pretzel rods to harden for 15 minutes.
- Place the white candy melts in a bowl and heat them at 50% power in a microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring every 30 seconds until completely melted. Spoon the melted white chocolate in a zip top baggie. Cut the corner off and drizzle the white chocolate over top of the red pretzels
- Place the blue candy melts in a bowl and heat them at 50% power in a microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring every 30 seconds until completely melted. Spoon the melted blue chocolate in a zip top baggie. Cut the corner off and drizzle the white chocolate over top of the red pretzels.
- Allow to harden for 15 minutes. Place in an air tight container. The pretzels will last for 2 weeks.
A Hezzi-D Original Recipe
*Affiliate links are used in this post*