Last week I made some crispy tofu that I served with BBQ sauce. I was really happy with the way it came out. The crunch on the outside of the tofu was delicious with the soft inside and the sauce. I hadn't made tofu this way before but I liked it so much I wanted to make it again but with a different kind of sauce. It's also great for weeknights because it's ready in about 20 minutes. Since Asian tofu is our favorite that what I went with.
The tofu is pan fried in a small amount of oil. I coated the tofu with panko to get more of a crunch. It gets golden brown on all sides which gives it an even bigger crunch. Make sure to use firm or extra firm tofu so that it stays together and you are able to dip it in the dipping sauce.
Then I made a delicious sesame soy dipping sauce. It's a little tangy, a little spicy, and had a lot of soy flavor. Both my husband and I agreed that the sauce really made this dish. We also poured it on top of rice and it was delicious.
For the Fried Tofu:
- 1 block of extra firm tofu
- ½ c. cornstarch
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1 t. salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ c. panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ c. vegetable oil
For the Sesame Soy Dipping Sauce:
- ¼ c. soy sauce
- 1 T. rice wine vinegar
- 2 t. sugar
- 1 T. sesame oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 t. Sriracha
- ¼ t. cayenne pepper
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 t. sesame seeds
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the cornstarch, pepper, and salt.
- In a shallow dish whisk the eggs. In a second shallow dish place the panko.
- Remove the tofu from the package and gently squeeze to get the water out. Cut it into 4 slices. Cut each slice into 4 pieces.
- Roll each tofu cube in the cornstarch, then dip in the egg, then roll in the panko.
- Add the vegetable oil to a skillet and heat on medium high for 2-3 minutes. Add the tofu. When one side browns, flip it over and repeat with another side. Continue until all sides are browned.
- Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels. Serve hot with sesame soy dipping sauce.
Source: Season with Spice
See the other wonderful #WeekdaySupper meals:
Monday - Chicken in Pesto Cream Sauce by Flavor Mosaic
Tuesday - Hamburger Stroganoff by Noshing With The Nolands
Wednesday - Watermelon and Mint Pesto Cucumber Noodle Salad by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Thursday - Fried Tofu with Sesame Soy Dipping Sauce by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
Friday - Peppery Caramelized Onion Egg Curry by Sue's Nutrition Buzz