On Friday I had my reward party for my students who had good behavior in December. The theme was Christmas and as always I made a ton of fun Christmas themed desserts for the kids. I made some chocolate popcorn, red and green cookies, and peanut butter cookies. However, the favorite dessert of all was the red and green layered cake decorated with the PEEPS® Holiday collection.
In order to make a festive cake I simply divided a white cake mix in half and dyed half red and the other half green. I stacked them on top of each other and then frosting them with white "snow" frosting. I put the PEEPS® Trees, Snowmen, and Gingerbread Men around the outside edge of the cake. Then I decided to build a winter scene using the PEEPS® Minions on top.
I placed on of the marshmallow snowmen on top of the cake and put two Minions in front of it so it looked like they were building the snowman. I used frosting to glue mini marshmallows to their arms for snowballs. On the other side of the cake I placed a Minion and a gingerbread man laying down making snow angels. My last Minion was riding his PEEPS®Milk Chocolate Dipped Sugar Cookie Flavored Chick sled down the side of the cake
I then needed a few finishing touches. I placed some icing on the cake with mini marshmallow snowballs all over the top. I used some red icing to put Santa hats on a few of the Minions. Then I used red and green icing to create a simple but festive border around the entire cake.
The results were so cute! I took the cake to school and the kids loved it! They were arguing over who would have which of the PEEPS® on their cake. The cake was actually the only dessert that was totally eaten by the students and they even had fun doing that! I caught several of them playing with their PEEPS® while they were eating their desserts.
- 1 box white cake mix + ingredients to make cake
- Red food coloring
- Green food coloring
- 1 can White Frosting
- 1 package PEEPS® Gingerbread-Flavored Marshmallow Gingerbread Men
- 1 package PEEPS® Marshmallow Trees
- 1 package PEEPS® Marshmallow Snowmen
- 1 package PEEPS® Milk Chocolate Dipped Sugar Cookie Flavored Chicks
- 1 package PEEPS® Marshmallow Minions
- ½ c. mini marshmallows
- red icing
- green icing
- Mix the white cake mix according to the package directions. Divide the batter in half. Put a few drops of green food coloring in one half of the batter and a few red drops in the other half. Mix until the color is spread evenly through the batter.
- Pour each batter into an 8 inch cake pan. Bake according to the package directions. Once the cakes are baked remove from pans and cool on a wire rack.
- Once the cakes are cooled place the green cake on a cake round. Spread with ½ cup of frosting. Top with the red cake.
- Use all but ¼ cup of the remaining frosting to frost the tops and sides of the cake.
- Alternate the gingerbread men, trees, and snowmen around the outside edge of the cake.
- On top of the cake place a PEEPS® snowman at the edge of the cake facing inward. Place two PEEPS® Minions facing the snowman as if they are building him.
- On the opposite side of the cake place one PEEPS® Minion laying flat and face up on the cake with a gingerbread man next to him.
- Finally, place 1 Milk Chocolate Dipped Sugar Cookie Flavored Chick on the edge of the cake. Using a bit of the remaining frosting stick a PEEPS® Minion on the back of it so it looks like he is riding the Chick.
- Use the remaining frosting to stick mini marshmallows to the Minions sides and all over the cake as snowballs.
- Pipe the red icing on a few of the Minions heads to make Santa hats, using a mini marshmallow as the puff ball on the hat.
- Finish the cake by piping the red and green icing around the edge of the cake in a decorative way.
A Hezzi-D original recipe