Whenever the holidays roll around I start thinking of easy food gifts I can make for my family, for the teachers at school, and to give as hostess gifts. During the summer I make and can a lot of jam so I often hand those out as gifts but I also like to give something that people can snack on during the holiday. This time of year gets so busy that it’s nice to have some to munch on like this Christmas Chocolate Popcorn.
This is such an easy treat to make. I chose to make this snack with kettle corn because I really like the sweet with the salty but it was just as good with buttered popcorn. The great thing about Chocolate Popcorn is that you can add anything to it you would like. Since I was making it for Christmas I added Andes peppermint crunch baking chips, red and green M&M’s, and red and green chocolate.
To make the popcorn I simply popped the popcorn and placed it on parchment paper. I sprinkled it with the peppermint chips and M&M’s. Then I melted the red and green chocolate and drizzled it over top. The popcorn sat for 15 minutes to harden and then I broke it into chunks and placed the chunks in containers.
To package the popcorn for gifts I placed some of the popcorn in cellophane bags and tied them with ribbon. I placed more popcorn in small tins and put a bow on top of them. Lastly I placed some popcorn in small Chinese take out containers and put a bow on top. No matter how you package them, people are going to love this festive popcorn!
- 2 bags Orville Redenbacher kettle corn
- ½ c. Andes peppermint crunch baking chips
- 1 c. red and green M&M's
- ½ c. red candy melts
- ½ c. green candy melts
- Pop the kettle corn according to the package directions.
- Pour the hot popcorn onto parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the popcorn with the peppermint chips and the M&M's.
- Melt the red candy melts in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between each interval. Place the red candy melts in a zip top baggie, snip off the end, and drizzle over popcorn.
- Melt the green candy melts in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between each interval. Place the green candy melts in a zip top baggie, snip off the end, and drizzle over popcorn.
- Allow 15 minutes for the chocolate to harden.
- Break into pieces and place in an air tight container.