So this year for Lent I gave up chocolate and candy. I have given up chocolate for Lent many years. People often wonder why I give up chocolate so often and mostly it's because I love chocolate candy. I'm not too big on chocolate cake or cupcakes but when I'm having a bad day I like chocolate candy or chocolate brownies.
A few weeks ago I went to my parents house for some birthday parties. I made the birthday boy (and girl) a big chocolate cake. Unfortunately my brother can't eat chocolate and because I gave up chocolate for Lent I needed to make another dessert for the two of us to enjoy. I'm always trying to make something non-chocolate for my brother so this wasn't anything new.
My first thought was to make a half dozen vanilla cupcake but I wasn't feeling cupcakes. After looking through my recipes I found one for Funfetti Cookie Bars. I love Funfetti cookies and cake so I figured the cookie bars would be delicious.
The cookie bars were a basic cookie recipe which had plenty of sprinkles instead of chocolate chips. It turned out that this cookie bar recipe made super soft and delicious cookies. The recipe called for thick vanilla frosting but since the bars were already super sweet I made an easy glaze and used extra sprinkles instead.
The resulting bars were soft and sweet. I love the colored sprinkled in the cookie bars as well as on top of them. They were a big hit at my parents house and I kept a few at home to enjoy later on in the week as well.
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1½ c. sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 T. vanilla
- 2 c. flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- ½ t. salt
- ½ c. sprinkles
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 1 t. vanilla
- 3 T. milk
- ¼ c. sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar. Add in the eggs, one at a time, stirring after each addition. Stir in the vanilla.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until well combined. Stir in the sprinkles.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- Mix together the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk. Pour over top of the cookie bars and spread evenly. Sprinkle on the sprinkles.
- Allow the glaze to harden for 30 minutes. Cut into 18 bars.