Back in 2013 we were stuck on Chili Lime Tofu. Most weeks we enjoy tofu at least one time during the week. in 2013 we were loving Chili Lime Tofu. I probably made it 3 out of the 4 times I cooked tofu each month. It was our thing.
In 2015 we switched it up and our tofu dish became Tofu Fries with Broccoli Steaks. This is a simple dish to make and it’s fairly healthy since everything is cooked in the oven with minimal oil. I’ve been making this 3 or 4 times per month. I still make Chili Lime Tofu but it’s only a few times a year.
Now it’s 2016 and we’re looking for a new tofu dish. I think we get stuck on these dishes because whenever I look for tofu dishes I find the same old ones. Sometimes I’ll make one that is pretty good and we’ll add it into the rotation but so far we’ve only had the two that have stuck around for a long time.
This week I found two recipes for Honey Sriracha Tofu that sounded good. I wasn’t thrilled with either one alone but I thought that combining the two of them might be a good idea. I used the baking method in one recipe to get the tofu firm and crispy like I like it. Then I used the other recipe for the Honey Sriracha Sauce.
The tofu came out super firm and slightly crispy. I poured the sauce over top of it then served it over rice. I liked how the sauce was spicy but had a bit of sweetness to cut through the spice. The jasmine rice helped to cut the spiciness as well. This is a good tofu recipe and while it’s not a once a week recipe, I can see us eating it once a month.
- 1 lb. extra firm tofu, pressed
- 1 T. cornstarch
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1 T. Sriracha
- 2 T. soy sauce
- 1½ T. honey
- 1 T. rice vinegar
- 1 t. sesame oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 T. sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the tofu into ½ inch cubes. Toss in the cornstarch to coat.
- Place the tofu in a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the Sriracha, soy sauce, honey, rice, vinegar, and sesame oil in a small saucepan. Heat until boiling, then reduce to simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- When the tofu is cooked pour the sauce over top and toss the tofu to coat. Sprinkle with the green onions and sesame seeds then serve over top of jasmine rice.