Who loves Funfetti? I feel like while Funfetti cupcakes have been around for a while, suddenly everything is Funfetti! From cookies and cakes to milkshakes and dips. It's a Funfetti world out there!
I wanted to make some Funfetti cookies as a school treat because I figured they'd be a great pick me up for everyone. Not only are they delicious, but the bright colors make everyone smile. Whenever I bite into one of these I always get a big smile on my face.
I have made Funfetti cookies before but all I did was take my sugar cookie recipe and add sprinkles. This time I made a soft cookie recipe with colored jimmies. I think the jimmies make more of a true Funfetti look.
The original cookie recipe only had the cookies baking for 8 minutes. Let me tell you, it said the cookies would look under cooked but the truth was they didn't just look under cooked, they were. I could not serve raw cookies to the teachers. So I tried a second time, raising the temperature and cooking them for 10-11 minutes instead.
The longer cooking time really helped. The cookies were soft in the middle but firm enough on the outside that they stayed together. They were sweet and had lots of fun colors swirled through them on more on top. These are a great cookie to brighten anyone's day.
- ½ c. butter, softened
- ¾ c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1½ c. flour
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. meringue powder
- ½ c. colored jimmies
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar.
- Add in the egg and mix until combined. Stir in the vanilla.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, salt, baking powder, and meringue powder. Mix well to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in three additions, stirring after each addition, until combined.
- Fold in the sprinkles.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and place on a cookie sheet. Add a few sprinkles on top of each ball.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes. The cookies will look soft in the middle but will be cooked through. Allow to cool for 2 minutes on the cookie sheet before removing to a wire rack.