As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
I have a lot of friends who eat gluten free so I do a lot of gluten free baking in my spare time. It’s harder to bake gluten free then it is to bake regular. The gluten free flour is finicky. I’ve tried many combinations of gluten free flours and I have ones I really enjoy. I recently found a new brand of gluten free flour and it’s quickly becoming my go to brand for my baking.
I wanted to make some muffins for work so I set out looking for a gluten free recipe. My friend TR who blogs at Gluten Free Crumbly gave me 3 awesome recipes to try. Since I know he bakes gluten free I figured he would have some great recipes.
The one that I tried was a bakery style gluten free muffin. The original muffin is blueberry but since blackberries were on sale again I used those instead. The recipe turned out to be delicious. I used 2 cups of the Namaste gluten free all purpose blend flour and 1 cup of brown rice flour and the muffins came out with a great texture.
They were sweet, fluffy, and bursting with blackberries. I also added in some lemon extract which really brightened them up. I also sprinkled a little sugar on top which made them really tasty.
The texture of these muffins is really good. I often find gluten free muffins to be a little grainy but these weren’t. They were pretty light and airy and tasted like they were made in a bakery. We actually compared these to the muffins another friend made and these muffins were the winners. I’m so glad to have a great gluten free muffin recipe on file for my next breakfast or brunch!
- 2 c. gluten free flour blend
- 1 c. brown rice flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 c. sugar
- ¾ c. applesauce
- 6 oz. vanilla yogurt
- 1 c. milk (I used vanilla almond milk but you can use any type of milk)
- 4 Tablespoons oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 c. blackberries (I cut mine in half)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 muffin tins with liners (9 liners in each tin).
- In a large bowl combine the gluten free flour blend, rice flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- In a medium bowl combine the applesauce, yogurt, milk, oil, eggs, vanilla, and lemon extract.
- Whisk until combined.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until well combined. The batter will be very thick.
- Carefully fold in the blackberries. Fill 18 muffin cups 2/3 of the way full with the batter.
- Sprinkle the tops with sugar if desired.
- Bake the muffins for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set the muffin tins on a wire rack to cool completely.
Adapted from Gluten Free Gigi