This weekend was not a good one for me. I didn't feel good the entire weekend and didn't eat every much. However, I was well enough on Sunday to bake a bit and since fall is in the air I wanted to bake with pumpkin. This is perfect because today the Creative Cookie Exchange is sharing layered bar cookies.
A week ago I tried making caramel apple magic bars. You know the ones, they have 7 layers and end with sweetened condensed milk? Well they didn't work for me. I'll say only about 50% of the 7 layer bars I make ever work. I feel like the base is what messes it up for me so I wanted to find something similar to a 7 layer bar but with a thicker base.
These Gooey Pumpkin Cookie Bars were the answer to my 7 layer bar problem. Well, they aren't exactly 7 layers, more like 4 or 5, but the concept is the same. However, in these cookie bars the base is made from cake mix. Instead of putting all the liquid into the cake and having it puff way up I simply added some pumpkin and an egg. This makes a thick and short cake that is part cake and part cookie.
On top of the cookie bar I layered white chocolate chips, cinnamon chips, and chopped pecans. Then I poured the "magical" sweetened condensed milk on top. I was hopeful that it was going to work since the base was thick and it did. The cookie bars came out perfectly. They were moist and tasted of pumpkin and caramel with the white chocolate, pecans, and cinnamon chips layering the top. The combination of flavors burst in my mouth. I have to say it totally tasted like fall.
- 1 box white cake mix
- ¾ c. pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1 c. white chocolate chips
- ½ c. cinnamon chips
- ½ c. pecans, chopped
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine the cake mix, pumpkin puree, and egg. Mix well to combine. The batter will be thick.
- Spread the pumpkin mixture in a 9 x 13 glass baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Layer the white chocolate chips, cinnamon chips, then the pecans on top of the pumpkin layer.
- Carefully top the cookie bars off with the sweetened condensed milk, making sure to cover the entire pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cut into 18 cookie bars.
Adapted from Your Homebased Mom
The theme this month is Layered Bar Cookies--if you like crispy, crunchy, chewy, creamy or gooey layers packed into one cookie you have come to the right place!! If you are a blogger and want to join in the fun, contact Laura at thespicedlife AT gmail DOT com and she will get you added to our Facebook group, where we discuss our cookies and share links.
You can also just use us as a great resource for cookie recipes--be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month!
Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of our bloggers have made this month:
- Caramel Swirled Cheesecake Bars from The Spiced Life
- Hawaiian Layer Bars from Food Lust People Love
- Praline Pecan Coconut Shortbread Bars from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Cookie Dough Brownie and Cheesecake Bars from Spiceroots
- Club Chocolate Peanut Butter Layered Bars from Our Good Life
- Nanaimo Bars from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Gooey Pumpkin Cookie Bars from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Magic Peanut Butter S'mores Cookie Bars from Rhubarb and Honey
- Double chocolate caramel squares from Flours and Frostings
- Caramel Apple Bar Cookies from 2CookinMamas
- Churros Cheesecake Bars from A Baker's House