Let's talk pizza...gourmet pizza to be exact. While I am the type to grab a hunk of pre-made pizza dough or thaw one one my homemade pizza dough rounds whenever we are having pizza, sometimes it's just easier to use something that is ready to go. One of my go to bases for pizza is a pita. I've made several pita pizzas in the past and I love how crispy the pitas get and I love the fact that they can stand up to many different toppings.
Most times my pita pizzas end up being a little messy and are just thrown together. This time I wanted to do something different. I wanted to show everyone that gourmet pizzas don't have to be on homemade dough. With the right ingredients gourmet pizzas can be made on pitas too!
I started with a hearty Toufayan Pita for my base. I brushed it with olive oil and sprinkled it with salt and pepper then baked it for a few minutes in the oven. I decided against pizza sauce because I just didn't think my choice of ingredients needed the extra acidity plus I thought it would be overbearing.
I started by sprinkling the pitas with cheese. I used goat cheese for mine and blue cheese for my husbands. Either one worked with the rest of the toppings. Next I put some fresh spinach on top then finished with chopped prosciutto. I baked it for about 10 minutes, just enough so the pitas were crisp and the prosciutto was cooked.
Once I pulled them out of the oven I put my secret weapon on top...fresh figs! I simply sliced the figs thin and lay them on top. Not only did they give the pizzas a little sweetness, they made them look pretty too. To finish the pizzas off, I drizzled a bit of balsamic vinegar on top. They looked amazing!
The Toufayan pitas were golden brown, crispy, and stood up to the toppings. The pizzas were slightly sweet, creamy, and salty which worked to make a flavorful gourmet pizza. We liked them so much I had to make us another one to split!
- 2 Toufayan pitas (your favorite flavor)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- ¼ c. cheese (use either goat cheese or blue cheese)
- ¼ c. fresh spinach, chopped
- 2-3 slices of prosciutto, chopped
- 2 figs, thinly sliced
- balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Brush one side of the pitas with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spray a cookie sheet and place the pitas, oil side up, on the pan. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and divide the cheese between the two pitas. Sprinkle with spinach and top with prosciutto.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the prosciutto looks crisp and the pitas are golden brown.
- Quickly top the pita pizzas with sliced fresh figs and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
- Cut each pita into 4 pieces and serve hot.
A Hezzi-D Original Recipe
This post is sponsored by Toufayan Bakeries but all opinions and ideas are 100% my own.