I really enjoy cooking but I don't always have the time to make the things I want especially since I like to cook healthy. Sometimes there just isn't time to make a big elaborate meal. That's when I usually try to make a tasty and delicious salad for dinner.
Whenever I make entree salads for dinner I try to pile on the veggies and make sure we have a protein on top. I also like to make my own dressing because I think it really adds something to a salad. Since you all know how I feel about cheese you know there has to be cheese on top as well. Everything else is optional.
This Greek Chicken Salad with Creamy Salad is fresh, tasty, and really filling. I like how well the dressing goes with the chicken. The dressing is really tangy from the vinegar but the Greek yogurt makes it creamy and mellows it out.
While the chicken can be grilled I simply made it in a skillet on the stove. I thought that would be faster and easier since I wouldn't have to wait for the grill to heat up. You can cook the chicken a day ahead of time if you want and the salad can be made a day in advance as well. I ended up making the salads while J was napping then cooked the chicken and whipped up the dressing once he was awake.
I served the salads with pita bread on the side which I thought was a great addition. It tasted good with the creamy dressing and it helped the entree salad to be a little more filling. My husband really enjoyed the salad because it was filled with peppers, onions, cucumbers, and feta which are some of his favorite things.
I think this Greek salad ended up taking me about 20 minutes to make from start to finish and we didn't need any side dishes with it. This would be a good salad to have in the summer since you don't have to turn on the oven and it's fairly light but filling. However, you can warm up the pita bread and serve it in the winter as well. I love a salad that is versatile and can be enjoyed any time of year!
- ⅓ c. extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ c. plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ c. red wine vinegar
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 T. oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 c. romaine lettuce
- Mild pepper rings
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 small cucumbers, chopped
- 1 lb. chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1 t. oregano
- 1 t. garlic powder
- ¾ c. feta cheese
- Pepperoncini, cut into rings
- 4 pitas
- Place all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk until combined. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To make the salad toss the lettuce, pepper rings, onion, and cucumber in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a saute pan over medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Sprinkle the chicken with oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Place the chicken in the pan and cook for 5 minutes per side or until cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and cut into strips.
- Divide the lettuce between 4 plates. Arrange the chicken on top of the salads along with feta cheese and pepperoncini. Cut each pita into 8 triangles and place around the salads.
- Serve with the creamy dressing.