With the release of My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 this week Sunday Supper is celebrating by cooking all things Greek! I love Greek food and have recently been making a lot of it. Some of my favorite things to make are lamb pita pockets, Greek salads, and Spanakopita.
Whenever I think of Greek food I think of feta cheese and lamb. Since I didn't have lamb in the freezer and there wasn't any on sale this week I turned to my feta cheese to make a tasty dish. I was actually looking for a side dish to enjoy on Good Friday when I saw these Greek Zucchini Fritters. They sounded really good and easy so I gave them a try.
I liked that these fritters are oven baked instead of fried. I've been eating healthier and baking my food instead of frying is one thing I always try to do. The fritters are made with zucchini, scallions, feta cheese, lemon juice, and plenty of seasonings. I mixed them up and dropped them on a baking sheet.
They smelled wonderful as they were baking. It was a combination of garlic, cheese, and vegetables. They came out of the oven golden brown and crispy. I couldn't wait to try them dipped in Tzatziki sauce!
Tzatziki is a yogurt based sauce that is served with so many Greek dishes. My favorite version is simply Greek yogurt, lemon juice, oregano, and cucumber. It's simple and perfect as a dipping sauce. It paired wonderfully with these Zucchini Fritters.
The fritters were a tasty side dish but they would also be a great appetizer hot and fresh from the oven.
For the zucchini fritters:
- 1 lb. zucchini
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ c. panko breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 3 oz. feta cheese
- ¼ c. Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ c. flour
For the Tzatziki:
- 1 c. plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ cucumber, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Grate the zucchini and place in a colander. Add the salt, toss with your fingers, and allow the zucchini to sweat out any excess water.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Squeeze the zucchini, getting out any excess water. Place the zucchini in a bowl along with all the other fritter ingredients. Mix well to combine.
- Drop the zucchini fritters onto the baking sheets by heaping tablespoon.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for the Tzatziki sauce and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serve zucchini fritters hot with Tzatziki sauce for dipping.
Recipe adapted from Recipe Tin Eats
See what other delicious Greek recipes we are serving up this week!
- Greek Salad (Horiatiki Salata) by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Greek-Style Sliders with Feta Aioli by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mushroom, Kalamata Olive and Feta Stuffed Phyllo with Whipped Feta Dip by Pook’s Pantry
- Rosemary and Olive Grissini by What Smells So Good?
- Socca Pizza with Spinach, Roasted Tomatoes, Kalamata Olives, and Feta by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spanakopita Bites by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Tiropitas (Greek Cheese Triangles ) by Moore or Less Cooking
- Tyropita Appetizer Bites by The Freshman Cook
- Avgolemono Chicken Zoodle Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Quick and Easy Greek Avgolemono Soup by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Shrimp Avgolemono with Spinach by Monica’s Table
- Vegetarian Magiritsa (Greek Easter Soup) by Palatable Pastime
- Baklava French Toast with Cinnamon Honey Syrup by A Mind Full Mom
Greek Main Dishes:
- Brizola (Greek-style Pork Chops) by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Greek Salad Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Greek Chirashi Sushi by NinjaBaker
- Greek Breakfast Wraps by Brunch-n-Bites
- Greek Meatball Salad by Magnolia Days
- Gyro Meatballs with Lemon Rice by Casa de Crews
- Kotopita (Greek Chicken Pie) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Mediterranean Meatball Gyros Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Slow-Cooked Lamb Shoulder with Roasted Vegetables by Food Lust People Love
- Souvlaki Chicken Wraps with Homemade Tzatziki by The Crumby Cupcake
- Youvetsi (Greek beef or lamb and orzo stew) by Caroline’s Cooking
Greek Side Dishes:
- Greek-style rice salad by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Greek Zucchini Fritters by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Homemade Tzatziki Sauce by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Spanakorizo by Feeding Big and More
- Chocolate Baklava by The Chef Next Door
- Greek Lemon Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Greek Spice Cake by Our Good Life
- Greek Walnut Cake by Pies and Plots
- Greek Wedding Cookies - Kourabiethes/Kourabiedes by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Loukoumades - Greek Donuts by The TipToe Fairy
- Loukoumades (Greek honey fritters) by The Redhead Baker
- Ouzito: The Greek Mojito by Hardly A Goddess
Plus Baked Shrimp with Feta plus More Greek Cuisine from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.