My brother got married last September and today is his one year anniversary. A few months before he asked if I would make a groom's cake for him. Since I'm always making and decorating cakes I said that I would. He told me what he wanted and I thought it was easy enough. My brother ended up buying me a cake air brush set for my birthday so that I could air brush his cake.
After waiting for several months, September came and I realized that I needed to try out the airbrush kit and work on the cake. I tried out the airbrush and it worked well. It was pretty easy to control and I did well with it. Two weeks before the wedding I started panicking and decided I needed to make a practice cake. So I baked up a cake half the size of the real one, cut out the alligator, and decorated it.
I liked how it looked but there were a few things that weren't right. The shirt on the alligator was way too light. It was supposed to look navy blue but wasn't even close. I also messed up on the shirt so I had two things I needed to work on. It took me more then a week to find blue food coloring that would work for the shirt. Then I made a few adjustments to my drawing and got started.
I had a few crazy days before the wedding and really didn't feel up to making the cake but I baked it on Wednesday, put the homemade lemon curd in the middle on Thursday, and frosted it on Thursday as well. Friday morning I was decorating the cake at 10 am, 3 hours before I had to leave for the rehearsal. I managed to get it finished and it looked so much better then the practice. I was really pleased with it.
When I showed my parents and my brother they were all really happy with it. Even though it was stressful getting it done, I was really happy with it. I'm also glad I spread it out over several days and will do that in the future as well.
Leave a Reply