As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
January is here and that means everyone is trying to eat healthier including me. This month the Bread Bakers challenge was to make a healthy or healthier bread. There were no real guidelines to this it was just whatever a healthy bread meant to us. This month our challenge is hosted by Pavani of Cook’s Hideout.
I’ve been making quick breads with applesauce to replace the butter for years. It’s an easy trick that leaves the bread moist and with a lot less fat. I did add in a bit of coconut oil in place of some of the butter but I mainly used the applesauce and some Greek yogurt.
Another trick I use for making bread healthier is using a whole grain flour. I know a lot of people bake with whole wheat flour and if I was making a loaf of whole wheat bread I’d be all about it. However, I really like using graham flour. It’s a whole wheat based flour, it has some texture to it, but it tastes really good in sweeter baked goods because it tames some of the sweetness. If you don’t have graham flour you can certainly substitute your favorite whole grain flour.
I whipped up this quick bread and put in some chopped apples as well. I don’t peel my apples when I’m putting them in bread because I like the texture of the skin. Other people do not like it so much so feel free to peel the apples if you prefer. Either way they get soft and absorb some of the spices and taste just delicious.
The bread smelled really good as it cooked. I could smell the spices and the applesauce in the bread. When I pulled it out of the oven my mouth started watering. I’m a complete sucker for spices. I was a little worried because the bread did not rise to the top of the container but it ended up being just fine.
This bread is delicious. It is full of spices, chunks of apples, and is super moist. The graham flour gives the bread a bit of an added texture which I really like. This is a delicious breakfast bread or one to serve as a snack with tea and coffee. Plus it’s the perfect healthier bread to start off the new year!
- 1 c. applesauce
- 1/3 c. coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 c. plain (or vanilla) Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 c. graham flour (or other whole grain flour)
- 1/2 c. all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 apple, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the applesauce, coconut oil, yogurt, and vanilla. Mix well to combine.
- Add in the brown sugar and mix until smooth. Beat in the egg.
- In a medium bowl combine the cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, graham flour, all purpose flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Add the dry ingredient to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined. Fold in the apples.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 55-65 minutes or until the bread is golden brown on top and on the edges.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack. Cook for 15 minutes then run a knife around the edges and remove the bread from the pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Recipe adapted from Chelsea's Messy Apron
Check out the Healthy Breads that our fellow #BreadBakers have baked this month:
- Amaranth Flatbread from Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Beet Rye Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Blueberry Almond Bread from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Brain Booster Pancakes from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chocolate Banana Flax Almond Meal Muffins from Spill the Spices
- Eggless Whole Wheat Brioche Buns from Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Grain-free Nutty Carrot Flatbread from A Baker’s House
- Healthier Applesauce Spice Bread from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Healthy Whole Grain Bread from The Bread She Bakes
- Honey Almond Brioche from Kidsandchic
- Honey Oatmeal Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Multigrain Pesto Swirl Bread from Herbivore Cucina
- Oatmeal Crispbread (Oatmeal Knäckebröd) from Baking Sense
- Organic Honey Whole Grain Bread from Hostess At Heart
- Quick Whole Wheat Bread from Ambrosia
- Spiced Besani Paratha from Sneha’s Recipe
- Sprouted Wheat Bread from Palatable Pastime
- Sweet Potato Bread with Honey from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Sweet Potato Millet Bread from The Schizo Chef
- Ten Grain No Knead Bread from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Whole Wheat Carrot Apple Walnut Quickbread from A Salad For All Seasons
- Whole Wheat White Bean Bread from Cooks Hideout
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated after each event on the #BreadBakers home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to [email protected].