As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
This Thursday is National Hummus Day! On Thursday my favorite hummus brand, Sabra, will be giving away coupons to celebrate this awesome food holiday! I wanted to celebrate by creating a dish using Sabra Hummus. I headed out to the store and bought 2 containers of Sabra Classic Hummus to experiment with and one Roasted Red Pepper Hummus. When I got back to my house the ideas started churning. I had 3 ideas straight away and wrote them down quickly. The first one I couldn’t wait to try was a chicken dish.
I started playing around with the idea of hummus coated chicken. I wanted to really cover the chicken in the hummus but I thought it needed something to give it a little crisp as well. I tossed some panko with some spices and seasonings and then ended up sprinkling it over top of the chicken once it was covered in the hummus.
Then I needed some vegetables to go underneath the chicken. At first I thought potatoes would be a good fit but then I was worried they would cook slower then the chicken and I didn’t want it to dry out. I went with broccoli and red peppers. I tossed them with some olive oil, salt, and pepper. I also let some of the leftover hummus drip over top of the vegetables.
The chicken came out of the oven smelling amazing. As I plated it my husband asked what it was. I explained the dish to him and he looked pretty skeptical. He took a bite and didn’t say much. When I took my first bite I was thrilled. The hummus had managed to keep the chicken moist and it was incredibly tender. The panko added a crunch on the top side of the chicken and tasted great. Finally, the vegetables were tender and had a lot of flavor to them. I particularly liked the vegetables that had the hummus on them. Yum.
After dinner my husband asked where I found that recipe. I told him I came up with it myself. He thought for a minute and then told me it was really unusual but he really liked it. He then wanted to know how I came up with it so I told him how it came about. It ended up being a very tasty dish and one that we will have over and over again. If you are looking for a great one dish meal to make for hummus day, this one is a winner!
- 2 bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb. chicken breasts
- 1 c. Sabra roasted red pepper hummus
- 1/2 c. panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the bell peppers, broccoli, and onions in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss the vegetables to coat with oil and seasonings.
- Cover both sides of the chicken with hummus. Place them on top of the vegetables in the baking dish.
- In a small dish combine that panko, pepper, oregano, paprika, and cayenne. Sprinkle the panko mixture on top of the chicken breasts.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for several minutes. Serve each chicken breast with a large helping of vegetables on the side.
A Hezzi-D Original Recipe
I am a Sabra Tastemaker and have been compensated for this post and recipe but all opinions, ideas, and photos are 100% my own.