This Thursday is National Hummus Day! On Thursday my favorite hummus brand, Sabra, will be giving away coupons to celebrate this awesome food holiday! I wanted to celebrate by creating a dish using Sabra Hummus. I headed out to the store and bought 2 containers of Sabra Classic Hummus to experiment with and one Roasted Red Pepper Hummus. When I got back to my house the ideas started churning. I had 3 ideas straight away and wrote them down quickly. The first one I couldn't wait to try was a chicken dish.
I started playing around with the idea of hummus coated chicken. I wanted to really cover the chicken in the hummus but I thought it needed something to give it a little crisp as well. I tossed some panko with some spices and seasonings and then ended up sprinkling it over top of the chicken once it was covered in the hummus.
Then I needed some vegetables to go underneath the chicken. At first I thought potatoes would be a good fit but then I was worried they would cook slower then the chicken and I didn't want it to dry out. I went with broccoli and red peppers. I tossed them with some olive oil, salt, and pepper. I also let some of the leftover hummus drip over top of the vegetables.
The chicken came out of the oven smelling amazing. As I plated it my husband asked what it was. I explained the dish to him and he looked pretty skeptical. He took a bite and didn't say much. When I took my first bite I was thrilled. The hummus had managed to keep the chicken moist and it was incredibly tender. The panko added a crunch on the top side of the chicken and tasted great. Finally, the vegetables were tender and had a lot of flavor to them. I particularly liked the vegetables that had the hummus on them. Yum.
After dinner my husband asked where I found that recipe. I told him I came up with it myself. He thought for a minute and then told me it was really unusual but he really liked it. He then wanted to know how I came up with it so I told him how it came about. It ended up being a very tasty dish and one that we will have over and over again. If you are looking for a great one dish meal to make for hummus day, this one is a winner!
- 2 bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb. chicken breasts
- 1 c. Sabra roasted red pepper hummus
- ½ c. panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the bell peppers, broccoli, and onions in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss the vegetables to coat with oil and seasonings.
- Cover both sides of the chicken with hummus. Place them on top of the vegetables in the baking dish.
- In a small dish combine that panko, pepper, oregano, paprika, and cayenne. Sprinkle the panko mixture on top of the chicken breasts.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for several minutes. Serve each chicken breast with a large helping of vegetables on the side.
A Hezzi-D Original Recipe
I am a Sabra Tastemaker and have been compensated for this post and recipe but all opinions, ideas, and photos are 100% my own.