There are some great things about the Instant Pot and there are some not so great things. One of the great things is that it cooks foods fast. It will also cook frozen meat in under an hour which is awesome for nights when I haven't taken anything out of the freezer. One thing that isn't so great is that it takes a little while to get up to pressure and releasing the pressure is a little scary.
However, the pros outweigh the cons and I've been using mine about once a week. It's great for weeknight meals. I've also found that most of the recipes are pretty simple to make. I can carry my son in one arm and make dinner with the other arm.. The only time I need to put him down is when I release the steam.
This recipe for Instant Pot Sesame Chicken is really tasty. I wasn't sure how different it was going to be from other Asian chicken recipes I've made but I really liked the flavor. I used boneless chicken thighs because they are more flavorful then the chicken breasts. I also added in bell peppers and broccoli for some color and nutrition.
The recipe is easy and ready in under 30 minutes. My chicken thighs were semi-frozen and I was still able to have dinner on the table in 30 minutes. I simply served the chicken over top of rice and we had eggrolls on the side. This made for easy clean up as well.
The sauce is delicious. It sounds like it's going to be similar to a sweet and sour sauce but then you add in the sesame oil, garlic, and sesame seeds and it gives it a nice sesame flavor. There isn't any vinegar in it so it isn't sour and I cut the honey in half so while it has some sweetness it isn't overly sweet.
- 2 lb. boneless chicken thighs
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into florets
- salt and pepper
- 1 T. vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ c. soy sauce
- ¼ c. ketchup
- 2 t. sesame oil
- ¼ c. honey
- 2 T. cornstarch
- 3 T. water
- 1 T. sesame seeds
- Turn the Instant Pot to Saute. Add in the vegetable oil and heat for 3 minutes. Add in the chicken and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add in the bell pepper, onion, broccoli, salt, and pepper and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, soy sauce, ketchup, sesame oil, and honey.
- Cover and heat on high pressure for 10 minutes. Release pressure and undercover the pot.
- In a small bowl mix together the cornstarch and water. Pour into the Instant Pot and mix well. Add sesame seeds and stir.
- Spoon over top of rice and enjoy.