Some days I just want a snack. While I love popcorn and hard pretzels, one of my favorite things to eat are soft pretzels. I’ve made these awesome soft pretzels from Alton Brown and these pepperoni pizza stuffed pretzels. Both are amazing and really filling. But I also love a soft pretzel with cheese. Growing up my brother and I would just dump a handful of cheese on top of a frozen pretzel, placed it in the microwave for a minute and WHAM! An easy and delicious snack in under 2 minutes.
However, I also love pretzel bites with a good dip. I dip them in marinara, in a sweet cream cheese dip, or just a nacho cheese dip. Cheese dips are one of my favorites so that what I wanted to go with. My husband has been on a jalapenos kick so I decided to put both of those into one delicious dip.
The pretzel bites were easy to make but I had to do a little work with the cheese dip. I mixed up a dip with beer, cheddar cheese and jalapenos. The dip was smooth, creamy, and delicious. It had some heat to it from the jalapenos but the milk and cheese cool it down a bit. We enjoyed the pretzel bites and cheese dip for a snack one day and then we actually had it for lunch the next day.
- 1 T. butter
- 2 T. flour
- 1 c. milk
- 1 t. dry mustard
- 3 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- ¼ t. nutmeg
- 6 oz. beer
- 3 c. cheddar cheese
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add in the flour and whisk. Cook for 1 minutes.
- Next whisk in the milk, making sure the flour is incorporated into the milk. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- Next add in the dry mustard, jalapenos, nutmeg, and beer. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- Add in the cheddar cheese, one cup at a time, until the cheese is melted and incorporated.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool for 5 minutes, then serve with pretzel bites.