This month the Bread Bakers are baking up Stuffed Bread! I almost forgot to look at the theme for this month so I was running a little bit behind. I needed something that was easy to make and that could double as dinner. This was hard to do! I searched for stuffed breads on Google and on Pinterest. I couldn't find one that I liked so I took a bread I knew I could stuff and put in my own filling! I started with a crunchy and salty pretzel roll. They are one of my absolute favorite rolls and I paired them with something I love to have stuffed in my soft pretzels...jalapenos and cheddar! Making these pretzel rolls was fairly easy. They only require one rising so they take around 2 hours total, including rising time, instead of 3 or 4 hours which is usually the time it takes for bread to rise. Once the bread had risen and I cut it into 18 pieces, I flattened each piece in order to stuff it. I placed chopped jalapenos and shredded cheddar cheese in the middle of the dough ball. Then I pinched the edges together, then wrapped the pinch parts together and pinched them again at the bottom. You can seal these however you see fit but I found that this worked well and didn't let any of the cheese fall out.
The pretzel rolls are boiled and then baked. They turn a golden brown on the outside. These rolls have a crunchy exterior and a soft interior filled with the cheese and spicy jalapenos. They are delicious and perfect as an appetizer, a snack, or even for a quick dinner.
Jalapeno Cheddar Stuffed Pretzel Rolls
Pretzel Rolls are golden brown and crunchy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside and bursting with jalapenos and cheddar cheese.
For the Pretzel Rolls:
- 1 c. lowfat milk
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 packet of rapid rise yeast
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 3-4 c. all purposed flour
- 1 c. baking soda
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Sea Salt
For the filling:
- 3 Tablespoons jalapenos, chopped
- ¼ c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- Place the milk and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 1 minute or until just warm.
- Pour the milk mixture into a large bowl along with the brown sugar and yeast. Mix well.
- Add in the salt and 3 cups of flour and mix well. Turn the dough onto a flour dusted surface and knead for 5-7 minutes, working in an addition ¼ cup-1 cup of flour.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Place the dough in the bowl and turn once, coating with oil. Cover with a dish towel and allow to rise for 1 ½ hours or until doubled.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray two baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Turn the dough onto a cutting board and cut into 18 equal pieces. Gently press each piece flat.
- Place a few jalapenos and a sprinkle of cheese in the middle of each dough. Pinch the edges together and pull into a ball shape.
- In a large pot bring water and baking soda to a boil. Add the dough balls 5 at a time, boiling for 1 minute.
- Remove from the pot and place on prepared baking sheets.
- Carefully slice a small x shape on top of each roll, making sure not to cut to deep.
- In a small bowl beat the egg along with 1 tablespoon of water. Brush the tops of each with the egg wash and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the rolls are golden brown. Remove from oven and serve warm.
Pretzel Rolls adapted from Erica's Recipes. The filling is my own creation.
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here.
Links are also updated after each event on the BreadBakers home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month the theme is stuffed breads!
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at [email protected]
Stuffed Breads from the Bread Bakers
Stuffed Breads from the Bread Bakers
- Chocolate Caramel Stuffed Monkey Bread from Robin at A Shaggy Dough Story
- Cinnamon Roll Quickbread from Laura at Baking in Pyjamas
- Cream Pan - Japanese Custard Filled Buns from Shireen at Ruchik Randhap
- Figgy Olive Oil and Sesame Challah from Sarah at What Smells So Good?
- Jam filled Danish Pastries from Holly at A Baker's House
- No-Knead Apricot Sweet Rolls from Renee at Magnolia Days
- Baked Peas Kachori from Shilpi at SimplyVeggies
- Cauliflower, Paneer & Peas Stromboli from Priya at I Camp in my Kitchen
- Cheesy Bacon Stuffed Pretzel Buns from Allison at The PinterTest Kitchen
- Cheesy Pizza Wheels from Tara at Noshing with the Nolands
- Chicken Stuffed Casserole Bread from Vimala at Cooking Club
- Cuban Sandwich-Stuffed Cuban Bread from Jenni at Jenni Field’s Pastry Chef Online
- Gruyère Stuffed Crusty Loaves from Adam at Bakers and Best
- Jalapeño Cheddar Stuffed Pretzel Rolls from Heather at Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Jamaican Meat Loaf from Kelly of Passion Kneaded
- Paneer Kulchi from Anshie at Spice Roots
- Prosciutto, Salami and Mozzarella Stromboli from Wendy at A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Russian Pirozhki from Mireille at Chef Mireille's East West Realm
- Sri Lankan Seeni Sambol Buns from Pavani at Cook's Hideout
- Stuffed Bazlama - Turkish Bread from Sneha at Sneha's Recipe
- Stuffed Black Garlic Monkey Bread from Camilla at Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Stuffed Pretzel Bites from Karen at Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Tiganopsomo - Feta-Stuffed Fried Bread from Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Zucchini and Goat Cheese Stuffed Bread from Aisha at La cocina de Aisha
Laura@ Baking in Pyjamas
I love jalapeno with my pizza and these are like little stuffed balls of pizza, yum!!
Jalapeno and cheese is a winning combination, bread with cracked top looks amazing!!! 🙂
I will take about 40 of these... thanks! 🙂
I love Jalapenos... I love Pretzels... These rolls are definitely for me...
A filling and yummy bread.
These pretzel rolls sound so delicious! I've tasted only pretzels so far but I love the idea of making bread with an jalapeno filling...the cheese will just take it to the next level of deliciousness!! Thanks for sharing Heather!
Julie is HostessAtHeart
This sounds wonderful!
Wow, jalapeno & cheddar stuffed into pretzel buns --that sounds so delicious.
You had me at Jalapeno! Pretzels rolls is just the cherry on top! What a gorgeous and delicious bread. Super impressed with this one.
I love that these pretzel rolls hold such goodness inside! Great choice of fillings!
love the stuffing
Karen @ Karen's Kitchen Stories
Heather, great minds think alike. I love pretzel rolls, and these sound perfect for a quick dinner!
Wendy, A Day in the Life on the Farm
This is a great recipe. I would omit the jalapenos in my husbands but include them in the rest. Perfect.
These would be a great game or movie watching snack, Heather. I was already sold on jalapeños and cheddar but putting that filling in a pretzel roll kicks it up a notch or three!
Those are perfectly delicious looking. They would be great on a picnic this summer!!
I like the way you think. Cheddar and jalapeno with pretzels? Delicious!
I've never made pretzel rolls and I'm not quite sure why, they seems so much easier than making a normal one. And you can't so easily put this delicious filling in normal ones!
They are super easy and so tasty!
They look yummy!
I could eat a baker's dozen of these rolls.