I'm going to let you in on a little secret today. I've never made homemade cornbread...never. I always buy the 50 cent box of Jiffy cornbread mix and go to town. It's quick, easy, and good enough whenever I need quick cornbread muffins. However, lately I've seen several recipes for homemade cornbread that look just as easy and even more delicious then the boxed ones.
After going through countless recipes, none of which I was too excited about, I decided to wing it and go with my own version. It took me two tries, but the second one nailed it. Plus is has a secret ingredient that leaves the cornbread firm yet moist so it's perfect to eat with chili or a salad! What is this secret ingredient? You'll never guess! In fact, I had my husband guess what was in it and he couldn't.
I removed all the butter from the recipe, making it much healthier, and substituted it with Sabra hummus! Are you surprised? My husband was! The hummus helps hold the cornbread together, gives it some moisture, and leaves the most perfect crumb I've seen in cornbread. I served it with a chopped salad one night, turned it into croutons the next night, and served it with chili the third night! Next time I make it I'd like to try one of the flavored hummus to give the cornbread some additional flavor.
Jalapeno Hummus Cornbread (a Hezzi-D original)
1 c. cornmeal
¾ c. all purpose flour
1 T. sugar
1 ½ t. baking powder
½ t. baking soda
1 t. salt
½ c. Sabra Classic Hummus
2 T. butter, melted
1 ¼ c. milk
½ c. cheddar cheese, shredded
2 T. jalapenos, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray an 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Combine the cornmeal, all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Mix then set aside.
3. In a medium bowl combine the hummus and butter. Add in the eggs and mix vigorously until combined. Stir in the milk and mix well.
4. Pour the milk mixture into the cornmeal mixture and gently mix until just combined. Fold in the cheddar cheese and jalapenos.
5. Spread the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean.
6. Allow the cornbread to cool for 15 minutes then cut into 16 squares and serve.
Sabra provided me with the hummus and a stipend for my work but all opinions, photos, and text are 100% my own.
My husband would LOVE this!! Wow!
Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious
I LOVE the box of Jiffy! Use it all the time!