As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Korean style salmon is marinated in a spicy barbecue sauce then grilled to perfect then served on a bed of rice is a healthy and delicious lunch or dinner.
I will be the first to say that I’ve never been a fan of salmon. I will also say that when salmon is cooked correctly I think it can be delicious but it’s not often that I have a truly good piece that is also well cooked. In fact, the last time I remember enjoying eating it was over 10 years ago at a bridal shower.
I decided to give it another go when I came across the recipe for Korean Style Barbecue Salmon. I was looking for a fish recipe to grill and that one caught my eye. I happen to have salmon in my freeze so I took it out to thaw.
I’d like to note that I used one whole piece of salmon while the original recipe calls for the salmon to be cut into 4 filets. You can make this either way but I felt it was easier to just keep my eye on a single piece. After it came off the grill we cut it into pieces and that seemed to work well.
One great thing about this dish is that the marinade and the sauce are the same so you only have to whisk up one batch of sauce for this recipe. I also like how easy the recipe is. The sauce is made from chile paste, soy sauce, lemon juice, sugar, ginger, and garlic. Then it’s all whisked together and used as the marinade.
After sitting in the marinade the salmon is cooked over high heat on a grill. Make sure to oil your grill before putting the salmon on it or else it will stick. It only needs a few minutes per side then it’s ready to eat.
You can serve it with addition sauce on the side or sprinkle it with scallions. It’s great over rice but you can also serve it with pasta salad or over top of a green salad.
We found the salmon to be tender and really flavorful. I was afraid it was going to be too spicy but the lemon juice and sugar tamed the spice as did the heat from the grill. I liked this salmon so much I’ll be having it again!
Want to get the best wild salmon around? Try the Wild Alaskan Company for the best wild fish!
- 3 tablespoons chile paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 lb. skin on, center cut salmon
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- In a medium bowl combine the chile paste, soy sauce, sesame oil, lemon juice, sugar, ginger, and garlic. Mix until combined.
- Remove 3 tablespoons of the sauce and place in a large container. Add the salmon and rub all over to coat. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes. Reserve remaining sauce.
- Preheat a grill to medium high heat.
- Oil the grates of the grill with the vegetable oil.
- Place the salmon on the grill skin side up and cook for 5 minutes.
- Flip the salmon over and brush with remaining sauce. Grill until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from grill and cut into 4 pieces. Sprinkle with scallions if desired.
Recipe from Food Network Magazine, June 2020.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 303Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 509mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 26g