This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MovieNight4Less #CollectiveBias
I love hosting parties, especially those set around a theme. So last week when I walked into Walmart and saw a display for movie nights with Orville Redenbacher's popcorn, M&M's® and Warner Brothers DVD's I ran right over to see if there were any fun movies in the bunch. Then movies were on a sale and there in the middle was one of my favorite movies, The Hangover. I thought of how fun it would be to have our friends over for a Las Vegas Movie night and I started throwing items into my cart.
I put in several boxes of M&M's® candies in regular and peanut. Then I chose a 6 count package of Orville Redenbacher's Kettle Corn and another 6 count package of Orville Redenbacher's Movie Theater Butter popcorn. I also put The Hangover Blu Ray disc in the cart. Then the ideas really started forming. How fun would it be to have a popcorn bar with buttered popcorn, kettle corn, seasoning salts, and an assortment of candies including the M&M's®? I was super excited to get this movie night started and I didn't even have any guests yet!
Next I went to the decorations. I bought some playing cards and dice because they reminded me of Vegas the most. The I bought red and black plates, red napkins, red and black cups, and black silverware. I figured a red and black theme would be perfect since playing cards are all red and black and it would really match my theme! I next went down the party aisle and bought some red and black gumballs, and few clear dishes to put everything in. The last thing that went into my cart were some red and black beads and a few feather boas for fun!
As soon as I got home I started texting my friends. They all said they could come and were thrilled with the theme! I immediately got working on the decorations. I printed out tags for my popcorn bar and then hot glued them onto the playing cards. Then I took the remaining playing cards and hot glued them onto the paper cups. They looked awesome and I couldn't wait for my friends to see them. I even found so cute little popcorn boxes for everyone to fill while they were watching the movie!
I filled up two of the small bowls with the black and red gumballs and put candles in them to decorate the table. I had also bought a length of thick black ribbon that I wound around everything on the tables and then sprinkles red confetti over top. I took the dice and scattered them around the table as well. The entire dining room looked amazing and ready for a Vegas themed party.
Then I moved onto the food. Since I was having a big popcorn bar it was easy to pop the Orville Redenbacher's Kettle Corn and Movie Theater popcorn. I placed them in their bowls and then set out some different seasoning salts. I had cheddar bacon, ranch, and chocolate caramel to sprinkle on the popcorn. I set out a small tray with four bowls and poured plain M&M's® in one dish, peanuts in another, mini marshmallows in the third, and peanut butter candies in the fourth dish. I placed mini scoops in each one so they were easy to get out and pour into the popcorn boxes.
Since I was feeling adventurous I also wanted to make a dessert with the popcorn and candy. I went with a delicious brown butter M&M's® blondies topped off with a caramel corn popcorn ball! They were totally messy to make but I had a blast doing it and I knew my guests would absolutely love them! The blondies were soft and delicious with the M&M's® in the middle and the popcorn was sweet and crunchy on top. It was an easy dessert to eat on the couches while watching the movie.
For the rest of the food I made Caprese skewers made with red tomatoes and white mozzarella cheese to fit in with the theme. I also made strawberry and blueberry skewers that looked black and red. I finished up with a red tray filled with veggies and dip and a bowl of pita chips and hummus. I don't think anyone was going hungry at this movie party!
When my friends arrived they each got red and black beads at the door. I brought them into the dining room and they were thrilled with the decorations. Two of the ladies put on boas right away and couldn't wait to start on the popcorn bar. Once everyone arrived we had a few snacks then I told everyone to grab a popcorn box and make their own popcorn mix! We had so much fun mixing the popcorn with the seasoning salts and candies. Everyone carried their box of popcorn, assorted drinks, and a few M&M's® blondies to the living room where we had a blast whopping it up over The Hangover.
The entire night was so much fun and I'm so glad I chose to host a Las Vegas themed movie night. It was fairly easy to put together and everyone had a ton of fun. I was able to save most of the decorations so I'm thinking I'll be pulling them out again soon at another party.
For the blondies:
- 1 stick butter
- ½ c. brown sugar
- ½ c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 ⅓ c. flour
- ½ t. baking powder
- ½ t. seas salt
- 1 c. M&M's
For the Popcorn Balls
- 1 package Orville Redenbacher's Kettle corn, popped
- ⅓ c. brown sugar
- 3 T. butter
- 1 T. corn syrup
- 1 t. sea salt
- 1 t. vanilla
- ½ t. baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place 12 cupcake liners in a cupcake tins.
- Place the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Allow it to melt completely. Turn the heat up to medium high and swirl the butter around for 5 minutes or until it begins to brown. Once it has browned (but not burned!) remove from heat and pour into a large bowl
- Add the sugars to the butter and mix until combined. Add in the egg and beat until combined. Add in the vanilla and mix well.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until combined. Stir in the M&M's.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffins tins, filling ¾ of the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and using the back of a tablespoon, gently press down in the middle to create a cookie cup. Allow the cookies to cool completely.
- To make the caramel corn put the popcorn in a large brown paper bag (grocery bag).
- Combine the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, salt, and vanilla in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes. Stir well and microwave for an additional minute. Remove from the microwave, stir in the baking soda, and immediately pour over top of the popcorn in the bag. Shake the bag hard to combine.
- Roll the top of the bag down and microwave the popcorn in the bag for 1 minute. Remove and shake hard. Return to microwave and heat for an additional minute. Remove and shake hard.
- Open up the bag and using wax paper to protect you hand, press the caramel corn into 12 small clumps. Place on a sheet of waxed paper to cool. Place a popcorn ball on top of each cookie.
A Hezzi-D Original Recipe