This post is sponsored by Barleans but all opinions are 100% my own.
I love making a good pie. Even when I'm making my own crust it's so much easier to whip up a pie then to make and decorate a cake or cut out cookies. I enjoy fruit pies, pudding pies, and even savory pies. Lately I've been wanting to try and make a lighter pie so I decided to give this Lemon Chiffon Pie a try.
So what is Lemon Chiffon Pie? It's basically a super lemony pie that has a light and airy texture thanks to whipping egg whites. I looked through a bunch of recipes and found that some used gelatin to hold the pie together while others used cornstarch. I'm a big fan of the gelatin method because it always seems to work so that's the route I went.
I can't really say I used any one recipe to help me with this pie. I kind of took everything that I read and made my own version of this pie. One major difference was that I added in Barlean's Seriously Delicious CBD Lemon Drop. I've been looking for a baked good I could use it in because it can't be baked above 225 degrees and since this pie isn't baked and was lemon flavored this was the one I tried it in.
Why add CBD oil? It is currently a popular natural remedy for a variety of different medical problems. There have been studies that have shown that it can help relieve chronic pain, it can help with depression and anxiety, and it may help reduce acne. I’ve keep hearing about it in the news and have tried it before but I have to say I'm loving this new lemon drop flavor!
Back to my pie, I could have made a homemade pie crust but I was on a time limit so I used a pre-made graham cracker crust and I have to tell you, it totally worked with this pie. The sweet and crunchy crust was perfect with the tart lemon filling. It's so light and airy and perfect for summer or early fall.
I put whipped cream on top with a bit of lemon zest but it would be great with a drizzle of honey or blueberry sauce too. Serve it with a glass of iced tea or a cup of hot coffee, it works either way. So if you are looking for a light and fluffy dessert give this Lemon Chiffon Pie a try.
- 1 graham cracker crust
- ¾ c. + 1 T. sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- ½ c. fresh lemon juice
- 4 T. butter
- 1 package unflavored gelatin
- ¼ c. cold water
- 2 T. Barlean's Seriously Delicious CBD Lemon Drop
- Whipped Cream
- Place two inches of water in a medium pot and simmer.
- In a medium bowl mix together the ¾ cups of sugar, egg yolks, lemon juice, and butter.
- Set the bowl over top of the simmering water and stir occasionally until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture has thickened slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the unflavored gelatin and cold water and let bloom for at least 10 minutes.
- Once you remove the lemon mixture from the heat, add the gelatin mixture. Whisk until combined.
- Cool at room temperature for 30 minutes, whisking every 5 minutes.
- After 30 minutes whisk in the Barlean's CBD Lemon Drop. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the egg whites and the remaining tablespoon of sugar. Beat on high speed with a mixer until still peaks form.
- Gently mix the egg whites into the lemon mixture until smooth. Do not over beat.
- Pour the lemon filling into the crust and refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving top with whipped cream and lemon zest if desired.
A Hezzi-D Original recipe