After a long and cold winter I’m happy to report that Spring has finally arrived! When I say winter was long and cold I’m not joking. We had close to 200 inches of snow where we live and many, many days where the temperature or windchill was under zero degrees. In fact, it was so cold and snowy that my school district had fifteen snow days this year! That’s not counting all the delays and several early dismissals. I’m just happy that the snow is off the ground, the sun is out, and it’s officially spring.
Since it’s spring I had to make a bright and beautiful spring dessert. When I think spring I think of fresh fruits. I’ve been on a citrus kick and decided to stick with that and make a delicious Lemon Roulade. The tartness from the lemons pairs perfectly with the sweetness from the Dixie Crystals sugar. Then the cream cheese filling adds an additional lemon flavor to the mix. It’s was the perfect dessert to get me in the mood for spring!
The bright yellow color reminds me of Easter and flowers. I served it with fresh mint leaves and strawberry fans for some additional pops of color. The cake was soft and delicious while the filling was smooth and creamy. It was fabulous served with a cup of hot coffee out on our screened in porch. I sat in the sunlight sipping my coffee, enjoying my Lemon Roulade, and loving the warmer weather.
Speaking of desserts, did you know Dixie Crystals is hosting a Brownie Dessert Contest? First prize is a ticket to the Food and Wine Conference, a $500 gift card, and the winning dessert will be the featured dessert of the contest! So what are you waiting for? Enter now for your chance to win!
For the lemon cake:
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 c. Dixie Crystals sugar
- 1 T. vegetable oil
- 2 T. buttermilk
- 1 lemon
- 5 drops yellow food coloring
- 1 c. flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
For the lemon cream cheese filling:
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese
- 4 T. butter
- 1 lemon
- 2-3 c. powdered sugar
- 12 strawberries
- Fresh mint leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 x 13 jellyroll pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs with a hand mixer for 5 minutes. Add in the sugar and oil and beat until smooth.
- Add in the buttermilk. Zest the lemon and then squeeze the juice into the bowl. Add the food coloring and the mix until everything is well combined.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the lemon and egg mixture and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth with a spatula.
- Bake for 14-18 minutes. Cake is done when it springs back when pressed with your fingers.
- Quickly sprinkle a clean dish towel with powdered sugar. Immediately turn the cake out onto the dish towel. Peel off the parchment paper and roll the cake in the towel, beginning at the narrow end. Roll as tightly and evenly as possible. Place the rolled cake on a wire rack and cool completely.
- To make the filling place the cream cheese and butter in a bowl. Beat with a mixer until smooth.
- Zest the lemon into the cream cheese mixture. Squeeze 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice into the bowl as well. Beat until combined.
- Add the powdered sugar to the cream cheese mixture a half cup at a time, beating after each addition, until the frosting is thick and smooth.
- Carefully unroll the cake. Frost the inside with the lemon cream cheese filling. Roll the cake up tightly. Cut into pieces with a serrated knife and serve with a strawberry and fresh mint leaves.
- If filling is too soft simply place the lemon roll in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before cutting.
Source: Sprinkle Bakes
This post is sponsored by Dixie Crystals. All opinions are my own.
Make sure you visit all the Spring Time Recipes this week:
- Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake by Neighborfood
- Butterscotch Chocolate Caramel Cookie Cups by The Messy Baker
- Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Coconut Lime Meltaway Cookie Bars by Chocolate Moosey
- Flan in Moscato Wine Sauce by Family Foodie
- Fresh Strawberry Tartlets by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten-Free Deep Dish Carrot Cakes for Two by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Bundt by In The Kitchen With KP
- Lemon Cornmeal Sandwich Cookies by girlichef
- Lemon Roulade by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lime Sugar Cookies by Magnolia Days
- Meyer Lemon Bars with Poppyseed Crust by Foxes Love Lemons
- Meyer Lemon Cheesecake Bars by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mixed Berry Crumble by The Dinner-Mom
- No-Bake Banana Split Dessert Cups by The Weekend Gourmet
- Poached Pear Bread by Momma’s Meals
- Springtime French Macarons by Hip Foodie Mom
- Strawberry Cheesecake Bites by Supper For A Steal
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes by The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
We want to make sure that all our foodie friend have the opportunity to join us at the Food and Wine Conference this year. If you have a killer Brownie Recipe — this is the contest for you! Check out the rules for the contest HERE. You could be one of three winners who will be joining us at the conference this year. Prizes include a ticket to the conference plus a gift card and even a chance to be the signature dessert at the conference!
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.