As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
It’s Meyer Lemon season and I’ve been buying bags of them for weeks! Meyer Lemons have a more orange yellow color and are a bit sweeter then regular lemons. I can’t usually find them but they’ve had bags of them at Walmart lately so I’ve been picking up a bag a week and using them in a variety of recipes. There’s nothing like a lemon dessert or dressing to brighten someone’s day.
Today I wanted to use the Meyer Lemons in a traditional lemon recipe. One of my favorite lemon recipes is lemon poppyseed cake. I love the sweet and tart combination of the cake along with the little poppyseeds studding the cake.
I was going to make this cake in a loaf pan like I normally do but sometimes that makes it come out a little dense. I wanted a lighter and fluffier cake so I opted for a Meyer Lemon Poppyseed Bundt Cake. Not only does the inside get nice and fluffy but the edges gets brown and firmer. It makes for a really tasty cake.
While I could have just left it alone at that I opted to put on a glaze. I went with a simple lemon juice and powdered sugar glaze. It adds just the right amount of sweetness and tartness to the top of the cake. It also adds just a little bit of moisture as well.
The resulting cake is a light lemon flavored cake studded with poppyseeds. It’s a pretty light yellow color and it tastes great. It sweet with just a bit of tartness from the glaze and lemon juice. This was the perfect cake to take to work on a cold day to brighten everyone’s mood.
For the cake:
- 3 c. flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 c. sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons poppyseeds
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- zest and juice of 4 Meyer lemons
- 1 c. milk
For the glaze:
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- Juice of 1 Meyer lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a Bundt pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix well and set aside.
- In another large bowl combine the butter and sugar. Beat until smooth.
- Add in the eggs and stir until combined.
- Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix well.
- Add in the poppyseeds, vanilla, lemon juice and zest, and half the milk and stir well.
- Add the remaining flour and milk and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared Bundt pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the pan and turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle over the top of the cake.
Recipe adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction