On the weekends I like to bake. My husband is usually gone a good part of the day on Saturday and that's my time to do my baking. Oh I could bake while he's at home but I prefer to do it when I'm alone. Mostly because the kitchen and dining room look like something exploded in them by the time I'm done baking.
Part of my problem is that I can't ever just bake one thing. I gather recipes, find recipes that are similar or have similar ingredients, and then I bake. This weekend I baked two dozen cupcakes, made a pan of brownies, and then I worked on these Mocha Cookies. I love that they are made with cocoa powder and espresso powder.
These cookies are super easy to make. They start with a basic chocolate cookie recipe that takes a twist with the espresso powder and chocolate chips. I whipped up these cookies in about 10 minutes. They were easy to make and I had all of the ingredients in my cupboard.
As these baked they smelled like chocolate and coffee. They didn't look quite done when I pulled them out but the directions said not to over bake them. I hoped that they would set as they cooled and I was lucky that they did.
These cookies are delicious. They have a rich chocolate flavor and strong coffee flavor. The cookies are super soft and just about melt in your mouth. I took these in to work and people loved them. They were gone in just a few hours and I had multiple people tell me they liked the flavor and how soft these cookies were.
- 2 c. flour
- ½ c. cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 ½ c. chocolate chips
- 1 Tablespoon espresso powder
- 1 c. sugar
- ½ c. brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the butter, ¾ cup of chocolate chips, and the espresso powder. Microwave in 20 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until the mixture is melted and smooth.
- Pour the chocolate into a large bowl. Add in the sugar and brown sugar and mix until combined.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix for 2 minutes.
- Stir the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture and mix well. Fold in the remaining chocolate chips.
- Drop the batter by rounded tablespoon onto an ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies appear to be set. Do not over bake!
- Allow the cookies to cool for 2 minutes on the cookie sheet and then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
Recipe Adapted from Domino Sugar