As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Satisfy your comfort food cravings with a delicious and easy-to-make Pizza Grilled Cheese! This savory meal is made with just a few ingredients and can be customized using all your favorite pizza toppings.
I’ve been on a grilled cheese kick lately. They are super easy to make for lunch or dinner and you can customize them in so many different ways.
While I’m a huge fan of a plain grilled cheese that’s made well, sometimes I like to try something a little bit different. In fact, I’ve made both sweet and savory grilled cheeses and have loved them all
Last weekend I couldn’t decide between pizza or grilled cheese for lunch then I realized I didn’t have to choose. When I was a kid we used to make pizza grilled cheese and I couldn’t wait to recreate it!
- butter (I use salted because it adds to the sandwich but you can use unsalted)
- Italian bread (or your favorite sturdy sandwich bread)
- mozzarella cheese (use thin sliced or shredded)
- dried oregano
- garlic powder (Penzey’s roasted garlic powder is my favorite)
- marinara sauce
- sliced pepperoni (or other favorite pizza toppings)
Back when I was a kid we had one of those sandwich maker machines that cooked the sandwiches with the push of a button and they came out cut in half. We made all different hot sandwiches in that thing.
Anyhow, once we were in junior high and high school my brother and I stayed home by ourselves on days when teachers worked. My mom was a teacher so that meant we had to make our own lunches and back then we made whatever was easiest.
That’s when the pizza grilled cheese came about. It was so easy to put bread, marinara, cheese, and pepperoni in the sandwich machine and in under 5 minutes my brother and I each had a sandwich.
Can I add other toppings to the grilled cheese?
Yes! Add all your favorite pizza toppings. Just make sure if you are adding vegetables that they are already cooked so they aren’t hard and crunchy inside the grilled cheese. Use Italian sausage, crispy bacon, mushrooms, peppers, or onions!
Can I use different cheese?
You can use whatever you use on your favorite pizza. We usually just have mozzarella so that was my choice. Just make sure the cheese you are using melts well. Other good cheeses would be fontina, Parmesan, Asiago, or Romano. Of course you could use classic cheddar or American but they aren’t very pizza like.
Can I make this grilled cheese in the oven?
If you are feeding a crowd and want to make these in the oven then feel free to do it! Butter the bread and place face down on a baking sheet. Put your cheese, sauce, and toppings on the bread and cover it with another butter covered piece of bread. Bake in the oven at 450 degrees for 10 minutes, flipping the grilled cheeses halfway through.
So thinking back on my childhood I wanted to share my Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwiches for National Grilled Cheese Day. The only major difference is that now I put some spices in my sandwich and I make it in a skillet. Everything else is still the same. I also like to serve a cup of marinara sauce on the side for dipping!
These pizza grilled cheese sandwiches are awesome for both kids and adults. The cheese is so gooey while the spices add some flavor. I love dunking my sandwich into the marinara sauce. Make sure you try these the next time you need a quick and easy meal!
More Grilled Cheese Recipes:
- Gourmet Garlic Grilled Cheese
- Apple Gouda Grilled Cheese
- Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese
- Strawberry French Toast Grilled Cheese
If you’ve tried my Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwich or any other recipe on Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you! You can FOLLOW ME on:
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 4 slices of Italian bread
- 1/2 c. mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 Tablespoons marinara sauce
- 16 slices of pepperoni
- Place a skillet over medium high heat.
- Butter all 4 slices of bread. Place two slices in the pan.
- Top each slice of bread with 2 or 3 tablespoons of mozzarella cheese, a sprinkle of oregano and garlic powder, 1 tablespoon of marinara sauce, then 8 slices of pepperoni.
- After the pepperoni divide the remaining cheese between the two sandwiches and sprinkle with the remaining oregano and garlic powder. Top with remaining slices of bread.
- Allow the sandwich to cook for about 3 minutes then carefully flip over. Cook on the other side for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread is browned.
- Remove from pan, slice in half, and serve with additional marinara sauce for dipping.
A Hezzi-D Original Recipe
More Recipes for Grilled Cheese Day: