We eat a lot of burgers in the summer. While we have them all year long I feel like we eat them a lot more during the summer. I'm not sure why except that there's nothing like a great burger and fries on a hot summer day. I've made a lot of different types of burgers and sliders and love experimenting with different flavors.
When reading one of my cooking magazines I came across a recipe for In-N-Out Style Cheeseburgers. Now we don't have In-N-Out Burger restaurants where I live but I've heard a lot about the burgers and I've always wanted to try them. I figured now that I had a recipe I could try them for myself!
After reading through the recipe I didn't really see much to make them unique except for the sauce and the caramelized onions. I love caramelized onions on a burger so I was all about it. The actual burger was simply made with ground beef, salt, and pepper. That's it!
The sauce was made from mayonnaise, ketchup, pickles, and vinegar. It didn't sound very good but it was actually pretty tasty. Once the burgers were cooked I piled them with pickles, tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, and the sauce. Then I put the onions on the burgers.
The resulting burgers were huge cheeseburgers! I had a hard time getting my mouth around it. It was really good though. The caramelized onions with the fresh vegetables was delicious. Plus the sauce was really tasty as well. I thought it was a good burger and I'll definitely make the sauce for burgers again!
- 2 T. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 T. sugar
- ¼ c. mayonnaise
- 2 T. ketchup
- 1 T. pickles, minced
- ½ t. vinegar
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 4 Kaiser rolls or buns
- ¼ c. dill pickle chips
- 4 thin slices of tomato
- ½ c. iceberg lettuce, chopped
- ¼ c. yellow mustard
- 4 slices American cheese
- Place the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sugar and mix well.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 20 minutes or until the onions have caramelized. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, ketchup, pickles, and vinegar. Mix well and set aside.
- Add salt and pepper to the ground beef and form into 4 patties.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the burgers.
- Cook the burgers for 3 minutes on one side then spread the top with 1 teaspoon of mustard. Flip the burger over, add a piece of cheese, and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the burger is cooked through.
- To assemble the burgers place a tablespoon of the mayonnaise mixture on the bottom of the bun.Layer a few pickles, a tomato slice, and some lettuce on top of the bottom bun.
- Place a burger on top of the vegetables then top with 1-2 teaspoons of the mayonnaise mixture and some of the caramelized onions. Top with the top of the bun and enjoy!