With the hot weather here I don't like to turn on the oven if I don't have too. We don't have air conditioning so when I bake in the summer I either do it first thing in the morning or late at night once the sun has gone done. But sometimes I want a sweet treat in the middle of the day so I need to increase my repertoire of no bake desserts.
I love Rice Krispies treats and they are an easy no bake option. However, I like to add different ingredients to make them a little fancier. I remember talking about Scotcheroos once upon a time so I looked them up. It turns out they are Rice Krispies treats with butterscotch and peanut butter. I'm all for the butterscotch but turned my nose up at the peanut butter.
I started looking for an alternative and came up with Cookie Butter or Nutella. I wanted to use the cookie butter but I was afraid it would make the bars too sweet so I went with the Nutella. I figured it at least had some type of nuts in it and it wasn't as sweet as the cookie butter.
I whipped up a batch quickly and set them aside while I made the chocolate butterscotch topping. Once it was heated I poured it on top and then I waited. Since it was pretty hot outside I actually ended up putting these bars in the refrigerator to help the topping set up. I was afraid with the humidity it would take hours for it to set up on its own.
Once they were ready I cut them into squares and immediately took a bite. These are delicious. The base is sweet, chocolatey, and has a slight flavor of hazelnuts. I think I made the right choice going with the Nutella because while it is sweet it isn't over the top sweet. The topping was a tasty combination of chocolate and butterscotch which I really loved. All together if you know someone who likes chocolate, butterscotch, and hazelnuts then you need to make these for them today!
- 1 c. light corn syrup
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 c. Nutella
- 1 t. sea salt
- 6 c. Rice Krispies
- 1 c. chocolate chips
- 1 c. butterscotch chips
- Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine the corn syrup and sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir frequently until the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat and quickly stir in the Nutella and sea salt. Mix well.
- Add the Rice Krispies and mix until well coated. Quickly press into the prepared pan. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in a small saucepan over medium low heat, stirring constantly. Once melted pour over top of the cereal mixture and smooth.
- Allow the topping to harden for 20 minutes. If it hasn't hardened place it in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Cut into 2 inch squares and enjoy.