I don't know what it is about summer but every evening I'm craving something sweet. This doesn't happen during the school year. During the school year I eat dinner then usually sit on the couch for a little while and get ready for bed. I have no desire to have a sweet after dinner.
That all changes in the summer. I'm not sure if it's the heat, the fact that it stays light out later, or what it is but I want something sweet about 4 or 5 nights a week. Ideally I'd love to be able to go and get ice cream everyday but that gets expensive and who wants to run out after dinner every day? I'd be happy enough with a cookie or a brownie but it's been too hot to bake anything in the oven.
That leaves me with two options. I can either buy some ice cream and put it in the freezer which is fine or I can make a no bake dessert. I haven't made a whole lot of no bake desserts but they are quickly becoming a favorite of mine. I like how quickly they come together and they are pretty refreshing in the summer because they are served cold.
Last week I made this awesome No Bake S'mores Cake. I mean, nothing says summer like S'mores! Who can resist that combination of graham crackers, chocolate, and marshmallow? I know I can't. Plus, this cake has just 6 ingredients in it so it's really easy to make. This cake is best made a day ahead of time so it can sit in the refrigerator and the graham crackers will soften and have a cake like texture.
In between the layers of graham crackers is a layer of chocolate ganache and a layer of marshmallow whipped cream. Everything is simply layered in a 9 x 13 baking dish and then refrigerated overnight. The resulting No Bake S'mores Cake is delicious! All the chocolate, graham cracker, and marshmallow flavor is in this cake and I love how soft and tasty it is. Plus, it's served cold so it's perfect on a hot summer day.
- 3 packages of graham cracker sheets (1 box)
- 2½ c. chocolate chips
- 2 c. heavy cream
- 7 oz. marshmallow cream
- 2 c. mini marshmallows
- 16 oz. Cool Whip
- Pour the heavy cream in a medium size saucepan over medium heat. Heat until simmering. Remove from heat and add the chocolate chips. Allow to sit for 5 minutes then whisk until the chocolate has melted and is well combined. Pour into a bowl and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine the marshmallow cream, mini marshmallows, and Cool Whip. Mix until well combined.
- Spread a thin layer of the marshmallow whipped cream on the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Break the graham cracker sheets in half and place the contents of one package on the bottom of the pan. You may need to break some of the pieces into quarters to get them to fit.
- Top the graham crackers with ⅓ of the marshmallow cream mixture then pour half of the chocolate ganache on top of the cream and spread out evenly.
- Top the chocolate mixture with another package of graham crackers.
- Place ⅓ of the marshmallow cream mixture on top of the graham crackers and then pour the remaining chocolate ganache on top and spread out evenly.
- Place the remaining package of graham crackers on top of the chocolate. Spread the remaining marshmallow whipped cream over top of the graham crackers and then sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator and cut into squares to serve.