This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SpringSweetsWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to help in the creation of the #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
This year PEEPS in having a competition between the chicks and the bunnies. I think this is a super fun promotion and I'd love to see which one everyone likes best. I personally like the chicks best because that's what I grew up with. So when I received both PEEPS chicks and bunnies I knew I was going to use the chicks.
I had a hard time coming up with a recipe for the PEEPS because I have so many recipes on my blog using them. Some of my favorites are PEEPS Nest Cupcakes, easy PEEPS pops, PEEPS S'mores, and Easter Bird's Nest Cake. While these are all super fun recipes in most cases the PEEPS become more of a decoration then part of the recipe. I wanted to make something that incorporated them into the recipe and used them as decoration.
I came up with these Pastel PEEPS Mini Pudding Pies. My first thought was to make pudding in different flavors to match the color of the PEEPS chicks. After thinking this through I wasn't sure that was the best idea. I finally decided on making a basic vanilla pudding recipe and then coloring the pudding.
In order to incorporate the PEEPS into the recipe I actually melted them in the microwave and whisked them into the pudding in order to give it marshmallow flavor and a bit of color. I had no idea if this was going to work but I thought that the melted marshmallow would whisk into the hot pudding mixture making it a vanilla marshmallow pudding.
The other issue I knew I might have was the color of the pudding. PEEPS have very distinct colors and sometimes regular food coloring makes for dull colors. I happen to have Neon Purple and Electric Pink coloring in the cupboard and these matched the purple and pink chicks almost exactly! I was super excited.
I poured the pudding into mini graham cracker crusts and then topped each with a PEEPS chick. These Pastel PEEPS Mini Pudding Pies were adorable! I knew that my kids at school would love them and they would be perfect to serve to kids and adults after Easter dinner. Homemade pudding is actually very easy to make and can be made a day or two in advance.
- 2½ c. whole milk
- ½ c. sugar
- ¼ c. cornstarch
- ¼ t. salt
- 1 egg
- 2 t. vanilla
- 5 pink PEEPS chicks
- 5 purple PEEPS
- Electric pink food coloring
- Neon purple food coloring
- 6 mini graham cracker pie crusts
- Pour two cups of the milk into a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium heat proof bowl.
- Slowly add in the remaining half cup of milk to the sugar mixture, whisking constantly, so that lumps do not form.
- Whisk the egg into the cornstarch mixture.
- Once the milk is boiling slowly pour the milk into the cornstarch mixture, whisking constantly so the egg doesn't scramble.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and whisk constantly over medium heat until the mixture thickens. Mine took about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Divide the pudding into 2 bowls.
- Place 2 pink PEEPS into a small microwave safe bowl and 2 purple PEEPS into a second small microwave safe bowl. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds.
- Add pink chicks to one pudding and the purple chicks to the other. Whisk both pudding mixtures until smooth.
- Add 1-2 drops of electric pink food coloring to the pink pudding and 1-2 drops of Neon purple food coloring to the purple pudding. Mix well.
- Pour purple pudding into 3 mini pie crusts and pour pink pudding into the other 3 mini pie crusts.
- Top the 3 purple pies with a purple chick and the 3 pink pies with a pink chick.
- Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or up to 3 days.
Saturday #SpringSweetsWeek Recipes
- Aquavit-Scented Blood Orange Galette by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Easy PEEPS fruit bouquet by Creative Southern Home
- Fresh Strawberry Pie by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Hummingbird Cupcakes by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Lemon Tea Cake Cookies by The Speckled Palate
- No Bake Mini Strawberry Cheesecake Cups by Blogghetti
- Orange Smoothie Recipe with Pineapple & Basil by Sweet Beginnings
- Pastel PEEPS Mini Pudding Pies by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- PB Marshmallow Peep Blondies by Kelly Lynn’s Sweets and Treats
- PEEP S'Mores Skillet by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Peeptinis by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Springtime Rocky Road Blondies by The Crumby Kitchen
- Super Moist Coffee Cake by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Vegan Blood Orange Dark Chocolate Loaf Cake by The Baking Fairy
- White Chocolate Hot Cocoa with Peeps Marshmallows by Our Good Life
- White Chocolate Spring Candy Pops by Family Around the Table
Thank you #SpringSweetsWeek Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Swiss Diamond, Nancy’s Yogurt, Barlean’s, Sprinkle Pop, PEEPS, Melissa’s Produce, and Adams Extracts for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The #SpringSweetsWeek giveaway is open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Eight (8) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #SpringSweetsWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #SpringSweetsWeek posts or entry.