This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #EverydayBrilliance #CollectiveBias
Thanksgiving is over and now it’s on to Christmas. That means I’ve been busy in the kitchen all weekend working on my holiday desserts. I baked cookies, made muffins, and tried a few desserts that I hoped to be able to serve at my annual holiday party.
The recipe I was most excited to try was a Peppermint S’mores Trifle. I love making trifles because not only do they taste amazing but they look so pretty too! My main problem with making a trifle is that I don’t have a trifle bowl. Luckily I found the new Rubbermaid Brilliance food storage containers at Kroger. Rubbermaid Brilliance containers are leak proof, stain resistant, and feature a 360 degree crystal clear view which is exactly what I need when I’m making a trifle. Since these containers have a leak proof airtight seal they aren’t only great for serving my trifle but for storing it in the refrigerator as well.
I started making the trifle by getting the cake layer baked. Normally I would make a chocolate cake but this time I baked up a batch of my favorite brownies. As they cooled in the pan I gathered the rest of my ingredients together. Since s’mores consist of chocolate, graham crackers, and marshmallows I still needed a few additional ingredients.
I wasn’t exactly sure what to do with the graham crackers since the brownies were going to be the base of my trifle. I ended up crushing them and then sprinkling them on top of the whipped cream. Speaking of whipped cream, I made an easy homemade peppermint whipped cream using heavy whipping cream, sugar, and peppermint extract.
While I was in Kroger I also found a bag of peppermint flavored mini marshmallows that were red and white. They were super cute and would add a bit more of the peppermint flavor to the finished trifle. Finally I crushed up some peppermint candies to sprinkle on the top of the dish.
Layering the trifle in the large Rubbermaid Brilliance container was a snap. I put the brownies on the bottom then layered on the whipped cream, graham cracker crumbs, marshmallows, and crushed peppermints. I did two layers and it went just to the top of the container. To make it more like s’mores I used a mini food torch and torched the tops of the marshmallows.
I put the lid on the container and refrigerated it for several hours. It looked so pretty in the Rubbermaid Brilliance container! I couldn’t wait to try it. Once it had sat for a few hours I dug out a large portion for myself.
This trifle is amazing! It has the rich chocolate brownie mixed with the peppermint whipped cream and peppermint marshmallows. Then I could taste the graham cracker crumbs in between the layers. Finally, the torched marshmallows on top really made the dish. It was like the very best holiday version of s’mores you can imagine! I can’t wait to serve it at my holiday party! Plus, because it’s in a great storage container, I can take it with me to any other parties I’m invited to this holiday season.
- 2 c. heavy whipping cream
- 2 T. sugar
- 1 T. peppermint extract
- 1 pan (9 x 13) of brownies, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 c. peppermint flavored mini marshmallows
- 9 graham cracker sheets, crushed
- ½ c. peppermints, crushed
- 1 large Rubbermaid Brilliance food storage container
- To make the whipped cream place the heavy whipping cream in a large bowl. Beat on medium high speed with a mixer until the cream begins to thicken. Add in the sugar and peppermint extract and continue to beat until the cream is thick.
- To make the trifle remove half of the brownie cubes from the pan and put them in the bottom of the container.
- Spread 1 cup of the peppermint whipped cream over top of the brownies. Sprinkle with half of the graham cracker crumbs.
- Top the graham cracker crumbs with 1 cup of peppermint flavored mini marshmallows. Sprinkle with half of the crushed peppermints.
- Repeat the layers for a second time.
- Using a mini food torch carefully torch the tops of the marshmallows until they are golden brown.
- Cover the container with the lid and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve remove from refrigerator, take off the lid, and place a spoon in the container.
Want to try Rubbermaid Brilliance food storage containers for yourself? Right now you can get $2 off an individual Brilliance container and $4 off a Brilliance set using this limited time Ibotta rebate offer.