Several years ago I had a sandwich I absolutely loved. It was a vegetarian sandwich and what I most liked was the simplicity of it. It was bread with pesto smeared on it and was topped off with mozzarella, roasted red peppers, and arugula. I recreated this sandwich but put it on Arnold Sandwich Thins® Roll.
Did you know that all Arnold® Whole Grain Sliced Breads and Arnold® Sandwich Thins® Rolls contain 3-4 grams of fiber, zero grams of trans fat, no high fructose corn syrup, and are cholesterol free? It’s great that the breads and rolls have that much fiber in them.
I used the multi-grain Arnold® Sandwich Thins® Roll because they only contain 100 calories which I appreciate when eating a sandwich. I melted a little butter in a skillet, added in some garlic, and then lightly toasted the sandwich thin roll with the garlic butter.
Next I made my own pesto and topped the sandwich off with the mozzarella, roasted red peppers, and the arugula. The sandwich was just as good as I remembered and it’s a delicious way to incorporate more vegetables into my day. Do you have a favorite sandwich?
- 3 T. fresh basil
- 2 T. pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-3 T. olive oil
- 1 Arnold multi-gran Sandwich Thin roll
- 1 T. butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 slices fresh mozzarella
- 3 roasted red pepper strips
- ¼ c. arugula
- To make the pesto combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Once it has melted add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Dip the inside of the sandwich thin roll into the garlic butter and then allow it to cook for 2-3 minutes to lightly toast the inside. Remove and set on a plate.
- Spread the pesto on one half of the sandwich thin. On the other half place the mozzarella slices, roasted red peppers, and arugula. Top with the sandwich thin half that has the pesto on it and slice in half.