Do you like Piña Coladas? Did you just sing the previous line? I did! So why am I singing about Piña Coladas? Because today is National Piña Colada day of course! Today the Sunday Supper taste makers are sharing our favorite coconut recipes to help celebrate National Piña Colada Day.
Since it’s National Piña Colada Day I wanted to make something with all the traditional flavors of a Piña Colada. That means I needed rum, pineapple, and coconut. I also most often see a cherry on top as well. I decided to make an easy Pina Colada Fudge. I love making flavored fudge because it only takes 5 minutes to make and people love different flavored fudge.
Piña Colada is a fun flavor because it’s tropical and makes people think of the beach. Making fudge is usually heavy and decadent which doesn’t really put me in the mind of the tropics so I thought it was going to be interesting to meld the two together into one delicious dessert.
I actually found a great recipe that makes the base of the fudge out of cream cheese frosting and white chocolate. I’ve never made a fudge with frosting but it tasted pretty great. I added in dried pineapple, coconut flakes, rum, and macadamia nuts for a salty and more tropical flavor. Once it was in the pan I added cherries and more coconut flakes.
The fudge was firm when it was finished and was filled with good flavors. The pineapple, coconut, rum, and nuts really mellowed out the super sweet flavor of the fudge. In the end it was sweet but tropical and really tasted like Piña Coladas. It also looked really fun and would be great to serve at a luau or outdoor party.
- 1 (12 oz) container cream cheese frosting
- 12 oz. white chocolate chips
- 1 T. butter
- 1 T. light rum
- 6 oz. dried pineapple, chopped
- ¼ c. macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1 jar maraschino cherries
- ¾ c. coconut flakes, divided
- Line an 8 x 8 baking dish with foil.
- In a medium saucepan combine the cream cheese frosting, white chocolate chips, and butter. Heat over medium low heat, stirring frequently, until the chocolate chips have melted and everything is smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in the rum, pineapple, nuts, and ¼ cup of coconut flakes. Stir well and pour into the prepared pan.
- Quickly push 20 cherries into the fudge (4 down and 5 across). Sprinkle with the remaining coconut flakes. Gently press down on the coconut flakes so that they will stick.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until solid.
- Carefully remove the foil from the pan. Cut into 20 squares using the cherries as a guide for where to cut.
- Coconut Granola Bowla by Family Foodie
- Gluten Free Coconut French Toast by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Make Ahead Healthy Piña Colada Breakfast Parfait by Easy Cooking with Molly
- Piña Colada Granola (grain free) by My Life Cookbook
- Piña Colada Nut Bread by Where Latin Meets Lagniappe
- Piña Colada Overnight Oats by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Piña Colada Pancakes by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
Dive in with Sides and Appetizers
Coco-Nutty Main Dishes
- Chickpea Potato Curry by Sunday Supper Movement
- Piña Colada Chicken and Rice by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Piña Colada Chicken Skewers by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pineapple Barbecue Chops with Colada Slaw by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Slow Cooker Pineapple Chicken Curry by Caroline’s Cooking
- Coconut Pound Cake by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Cookies and Coconut Cream Popsicles by Books n’ Cooks
- Creamy Dairy-Free Vegan Coconut Ice Cream by Positively Stacey
- Easy Piña Colada Fudge by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Easy Piña Colada Poke Cake by Crazed Mom
- Homemade Samoas by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- How to make a Piña Colada Flan by Asian In America
- Island Breeze Piña Colada Panna Cotta by The Weekend Gourmet
- Kheer by What Smells So Good?
- Mini Roasted Blueberry and Coconut Cream Trifles by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Piña Colada Bars by Dessert Geek
- Piña Colada Cream Pie by Cookin’ Mimi
- Piña Colada Cupcakes by The Redhead Baker
- Piña Colada Energy Balls by Wholistic Woman
- Piña Colada Ice Cream by Palatable Pastime
- Piña Colada Rice Pudding by Hardly A Goddess
- Piña Colada Trifle by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Piña Colada Upside Down Cake by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Pineapple Coconut Pudding by Magnolia Days
- Samoa Smacky Delicious Mix by Cooking With Carlee
- Toasted Coconut Sour Cherry Sundae by Pies and Plots
- Tropical Fruit Cups by The Freshman Cook
Sweet to Sip Beverages
- Boozy Coconut & Caramel Milkshakes by Momma’s Meals
- Coconut Banana Rum Smoothie by Desserts Required
- Coquito by Monica’s Table
- Lime Coconut Lassi by Food Lust People Love
- Piña Colada Freeze by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Piña Colada Smoothie by A Mind Full Mom
- Spiced Piña Colada by Family Around the Table
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board