It's no secret that I love Sabra Hummus. With so many flavors to choose from and so many different ways to dress it up I enjoy this hummus for a snack on a regular basis. Since I have so many friends with dietary restrictions it's great to serve with chips, pretzels, or vegetables so that all of my vegan, vegetarian, and gluten free friends have a snack option before dinner time.
Did you know that International Hummus Day is May 13th this year? Well now that you do I want you to try and come up with a creative hummus dish perfect for celebrating. If you can't come up with you own feel free to try some of my favorites including Ginger Walnut Hummus, Hummus Bruschetta, or the second most popular recipe on my blog, the Hummus Crusted Chicken with Broccoli and Peppers.
This year for Hummus Day I decided to go with a quick and easy warm hummus dip that I think the whole family will enjoy. It's Pizza Hummus Dip! This is such a great dip that you can have as a side dish at lunch, as a dinner party appetizer, or as an Unofficial Meal. We like to have an Unofficial meal in the afternoon as a pick me up before dinner. While I make mine vegetarian so all of my friends can enjoy it you can add any of your favorite pizza toppings!
My biggest challenge in making this dip was choosing the hummus. There are so many great flavors of Sabra Hummus and I really wanted to choose one that would be perfect with my idea of a pizza dip. I went with the Sabra Sun Dried Tomato Hummus because I thought the tomatoes in the hummus could substitute in for the marinara sauce found in pizza.
In addition to the sun dried tomato hummus I added in oregano and garlic cloves then sauteed some green peppers, onions, and mushrooms to put on top. Of course I topped it off with mozzarella cheese because what's pizza without the cheese? I baked it all in the oven just long enough to melt the cheese and then I served it with vegetables, tortilla chips, and crackers. That way there's something for everyone to munch on!
I love the flavors in this pizza hummus dip. The sauteed vegetables really mix well with the spices, mozzarella cheese, and the sun dried tomatoes. It really is similar to eating pizza but without all the carbs. So make sure you pick up a container of Sabra Sun Dried Tomato Hummus and get ready to celebrate Hummus Day on May 13th!
- 1 container Sabra Sun Dried Tomato Hummus
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ green pepper, thinly sliced
- ¼ onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ c. mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ¼ c. mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Scoop out the sun dried tomatoes on top of the hummus and set them aside.
- Meanwhile, combine the hummus, oregano, garlic, and black pepper in a bowl. Spread into a small oven safe baking dish. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a small saute pan over medium high heat. Add in the green pepper, onion, and mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place the sauteed vegetables around the outside edges of the hummus in the baking dish. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the vegetables. Place the reserved sun dried tomatoes in the middle of the hummus.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and serve with tortilla chips, crackers, and vegetables.
A Hezzi-D Original Recipe
I made this recipe as part of the Sabra Tastemakers but all opinions are 100% my own.