December is here and that means I’m in full holiday mode. Most weeks consist of me baking cookies, cooking dinner, wrapping presents, and running around to holiday events. During the holidays it’s nice to take time to slow down and enjoy a delicious meal with family and friends.
For me this means making a stunning main course that looks like it took a lot of effort but is actually easy to prepare. That’s why I am making a high quality Certified Angus Beef® Brand Prime Rib Roast. Prime Rib is quite possibly the king of beef and it’s a show stopper at any holiday meal.
I’ve only made two beef roasts previously. One I did with no instructions and it came out decent. The second roast I used the Certified Angus Beef® Brand Roast Perfect app and it came out amazing! The outside was golden brown and delicious while the insane was a juicy medium rare. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
I was recently lucky enough to visit Certified Angus Beef® Brand’s Education & Culinary Center for a weekend. While there I learned about the cuts of beef. This was great for me because every time I go to the market I have to ask the butcher for help in choosing a roast. Now I feel confident enough about beef cuts to choose the one that will best work for the number of guests I’m having over and for the occasion. Of course for the holidays it’s all about the big beef roast.
I also learned numerous tips on how to cook a beef roast from Certified Angus Beef® Brand’s talented chefs. While you may not be able to get a lesson directly from the chefs, Chef Michael Ollier gives some great instructions for cooking roasts HERE. He also has a fabulous video on the Roast Perfect app which really helped me in cooking my Prime Rib Roast to perfection. In addition to learning how to cook a roast, I also learned how to make a great sauce to go with it and got some tips on side dishes as well. The cool thing about the Roast Perfect app is that not only does it give explicit instructions on how to cook a roast, there are also tons of awesome side dish recipes too! Don’t forget to go to the Play Store or iTunes store to download this app for the holidays.
Now let’s talk about that big, beautiful piece of Prime Rib Roast. We were having a few friends over for a nice holiday meal and I didn’t want to do anything too fancy to the actual roast because it tastes great without doing much too it. Plus I wanted to serve it with a creamy horseradish sauce. In my book simple is better with a fine piece of meat like Certified Angus Beef® Brand Prime Rib Roast.
I decided to simple coat it in fresh cracked black pepper, kosher salt, garlic, and onion powder. I rubbed it all over the roast and seared it in the oven for 15 minutes. This helps to get a nice sear on the meat and it locks in the juices. Then I lowered the temperature and let it roast until it was rare. At this point when you take it out of the oven the temperature is going to rise another 5-10 degrees so it was cooked to a perfect medium rare.
For the sauce I just whipped up a creamy horseradish sauce made from sour cream, horseradish, spices, and chives. It was the perfect accompaniment for the Prime Rib Roast. As soon as I served the meal you could have heard a pin drop. All of our guests loved the Prime Rib Roast. My husband and I also enjoyed it, especially with the nice crust on the outside and the juiciness of the meat. Not only was it a great holiday meal but I didn’t worry about it at all when it was in the oven since I was cooking with Certified Angus Beef® Brand’s Roast Perfect app.
Looking for a delicious roast recipe for your holiday table? Check out Certified Angus Beef® Brand’s Roast Perfect Pinterest Board for ideas! Plus find out where you can buy Certified Angus Beef® Brand by using the store locator.
- 5-6 lb. Certified Angus Beef Brand Prime Rib Roast
- 3 T. kosher salt
- 3 T. fresh ground black pepper
- 2 T. granulated garlic
- 2 T. onion powder
- 1 T. paprika
- 1 c. sour cream
- 3 T. horseradish
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 T. chives, chopped
- 1 T. dijon mustard
- 1 t. sea salt
- 1 t. fresh cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine the salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder, and paprika in a small bowl. Mix well and rub all over the roast.
- Place the roast on a rack in a roasting pan fat side up.
- Put in the hot oven and sear for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 352 degrees and roast for 2 hours 10 minutes to 2 hours 15 minutes or until the internal temperature is between 120-125 degrees.
- Remove from oven and tent with foil. Allow the beef to rest for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for the creamy horseradish sauce. Mix well and set aside.
- Slice the roast against the grain into desired portion size. Serve with creamy horseradish sauce.
This post is sponsored by Certified Angus Beef® Brand in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
- Asian Beer Marinated Roast by Food Done Light
- Bone-In Rib Roast Recipe by Recipe for Perfection
- Cajun Herb Prime Rib Roast by Flavor Mosaic
- Classic Prime Rib by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Coffee Rubbed Prime Rib Roast by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Cranberry Crusted Prime Rib Roast by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Garlic Crusted Prime Rib Roast by Life Tastes Good
- Garlic Herb Beef Tenderloin Roast with Creamy Horseradish Sauce by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Greek Marinated Sirloin Tip Roast by Curious Cuisiniere
- Herbed Beef Tenderloin with Port Wine and Cranberry Sauce by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Lemon Pepper Sirloin Tip Roast by Magnolia Days
- Lendenbraten with Black Truffle Sauce by Palatable Pastime
- New York Strip Roast by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Prime Rib Roast with Brussels Sprouts by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Prime Rib Roast with Creamy Horseradish Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Prime Rib Roast with Santa Maria Rub by Shockingly Delicious
- Roasted Shallot and Herb Roast by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Spiced Ribeye Roast with Caramelized Onion by Cooking Chat
- Sweet and Garlicky Prime Rib by Family Foodie
- Peppercorn Beef Tenderloin Roast with Mushroom Cream Sauce by Whole Food | Real Families
- #RoastPerfect Tips Plus Holiday Roasting Recipes #SundaySupper by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.