As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
December is here and that means I’m in full holiday mode. Most weeks consist of me baking cookies, cooking dinner, wrapping presents, and running around to holiday events. During the holidays it’s nice to take time to slow down and enjoy a delicious meal with family and friends.
For me this means making a stunning main course that looks like it took a lot of effort but is actually easy to prepare. That’s why I am making a high quality Certified Angus Beef® Brand Prime Rib Roast. Prime Rib is quite possibly the king of beef and it’s a show stopper at any holiday meal.
I’ve only made two beef roasts previously. One I did with no instructions and it came out decent. The second roast I used the Certified Angus Beef® Brand Roast Perfect app and it came out amazing! The outside was golden brown and delicious while the insane was a juicy medium rare. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
I was recently lucky enough to visit Certified Angus Beef® Brand’s Education & Culinary Center for a weekend. While there I learned about the cuts of beef. This was great for me because every time I go to the market I have to ask the butcher for help in choosing a roast. Now I feel confident enough about beef cuts to choose the one that will best work for the number of guests I’m having over and for the occasion. Of course for the holidays it’s all about the big beef roast.
I also learned numerous tips on how to cook a beef roast from Certified Angus Beef® Brand’s talented chefs. While you may not be able to get a lesson directly from the chefs, Chef Michael Ollier gives some great instructions for cooking roasts HERE. He also has a fabulous video on the Roast Perfect app which really helped me in cooking my Prime Rib Roast to perfection.
In addition to learning how to cook a roast, I also learned how to make a great sauce to go with it and got some tips on side dishes as well. The cool thing about the Roast Perfect app is that not only does it give explicit instructions on how to cook a roast, there are also tons of awesome side dish recipes too!
Now let’s talk about that big, beautiful piece of Prime Rib Roast. We were having a few friends over for a nice holiday meal and I didn’t want to do anything too fancy to the actual roast because it tastes great without doing much too it. Plus I wanted to serve it with a creamy horseradish sauce. In my book simple is better with a fine piece of meat like Certified Angus Beef® Brand Prime Rib Roast.
I decided to simple coat it in fresh cracked black pepper, kosher salt, garlic, and onion powder. I rubbed it all over the roast and seared it in the oven for 15 minutes. This helps to get a nice sear on the meat and it locks in the juices.
Then I lowered the temperature and let it roast until it was rare. At this point when you take it out of the oven the temperature is going to rise another 5-10 degrees so it was cooked to a perfect medium rare.
For the sauce I just whipped up a creamy horseradish sauce made from sour cream, horseradish, spices, and chives. It was the perfect accompaniment for the Prime Rib Roast.
As soon as I served the meal you could have heard a pin drop. All of our guests loved the Prime Rib Roast. My husband and I also enjoyed it, especially with the nice crust on the outside and the juiciness of the meat.
Not only was it a great holiday meal but I didn’t worry about it at all when it was in the oven since I was cooking with Certified Angus Beef® Brand’s Roast Perfect app.
For the Prime Rib Roast:
- 5-6 lb. Certified Angus Beef Brand Prime Rib Roast
- 3 Tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 Tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons granulated garlic
- 2 Tablespoons onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
For the creamy horseradish sauce:
- 1 c. sour cream
- 3 Tablespoons horseradish
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine the salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder, and paprika in a small bowl. Mix well and rub all over the roast.
- Place the roast on a rack in a roasting pan fat side up.
- Put in the hot oven and sear for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 352 degrees and roast for 2 hours 10 minutes to 2 hours 15 minutes or until the internal temperature is between 120-125 degrees.
- Remove from oven and tent with foil. Allow the beef to rest for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for the creamy horseradish sauce. Mix well and set aside.
- Slice the roast against the grain into desired portion size. Serve with creamy horseradish sauce.
A Hezzi-D Original Recipe
This post is sponsored by Certified Angus Beef® Brand in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
More Holiday Roast Recipes:
- Bone-In Rib Roast Recipe by Recipe for Perfection
- Cajun Herb Prime Rib Roast by Flavor Mosaic
- Classic Prime Rib by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cranberry Crusted Prime Rib Roast by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Garlic Crusted Prime Rib Roast by Life Tastes Good
- Garlic Herb Beef Tenderloin Roast with Creamy Horseradish Sauce by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Lendenbraten with Black Truffle Sauce by Palatable Pastime
- Prime Rib Roast with Brussels Sprouts by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Roasted Shallot and Herb Roast by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures