As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
I don’t know about you but when the weather starts getting colder I start looking forward to fall scents. Some of my favorite scents are apple pie, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, and coffee. Another thing that happens is my skin starts drying out once it starts getting cold. I have to start using a ton of lotion on my hands and feet but that doesn’t help the rest of my body.
That’s where this Pumpkin Spice Sugar Scrub comes in. I love using sugar scrub in the shower because it gently removes dead skin but it leaves the skin silky smooth. You can buy it at any drug store or a bath store but it’s so easy to make at home.
When you make sugar scrub at home the main thing you need in a fragrance. Most people have sugar at home and I’d say some people have the coconut oil. This recipe uses two different types of sugar but you can use straight granulated sugar and it works just as well. I like to make several jars at a time because I use one for myself and I often give the others as gifts at the holidays.
When looking at fragrances there are several things you can do. One is that you can use food extracts. This is not the strongest scent but they are super safe on your skin and if someone would put it in their mouth it would not harm them. In the past this is how I have scented my scrubs. Another thing to do is use essential oils. While this will give you a very strong scent sometimes people have bad reactions to different essential oils.
In this recipe I used fragrance oils which are used to scent things. There is less chance of a reaction with these then with traditional essential oils. I bought this 6 pack of fall scented oils and made a few different fall sugar scrubs. These scents are amazing! I want to put them on everything to scent my house.
This recipe is very simple. It uses granulated sugar (I used Dixie Crystals), brown sugar, coconut oil (I used Barlean’s), fragrance oil, and pumpkin pie spice. That’s it and it makes 4 different jars of sugar scrub. After making them I like to put them in half pint jars, put a ribbon around the neck, and cover the top with fabric or scrapbook paper. Then I print out a label on how to use the scrub and I have the perfect holiday gift to give and I keep one jar at home for myself.
Pumpkin Spice Sugar Scrub
- 2 c. granulated sugar
- 2 c. brown sugar
- 1 c. coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 10-20 drops pumpkin fragrance
- 5 drops orange food coloring
- In a large bowl combine the granulated sugar, brown sugar, and coconut oil. Mix well until combined.
- Add in the pumpkin pie spice, pumpkin fragrance, and orange food coloring. Mix well.
- Put the sugar scrub into 4 half pint jars and screw on the lids.
- If desired place a ribbon around the neck, place a piece of fabric or paper on top, and place a label on the front with instructions.
- The instructions should say, "Use 1 tablespoon of sugar scrub in the shower. Rub on dry areas and rinse for silky, smooth skin."